Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chutney

No blog today, but a friend mentioned she is making chutneys and such for Christmas presents which reminded me of my favourite which I'm afraid I haven't made in years. I got it from a woman who used to work for me many years ago and it is absolutely delicious. Grannie's Chutney

2 lbs cooking apples (tart)

1 oz garlic

1 oz powdered ginger

1 oz mustard powder

1/2 oz salt

1/4 oz cayenne

1-1/2 lbs moist brown sugar

1/2 lb chopped raisins or

sultanas

1-1/2 pts vinegar

Peel, core and slice apples. Put in to a very large pan with half of vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for a little while. Allow to cool until a pulp then add all the other ingredients and boil for a further 30 mins (stirring often). When cool put in air-tight jars.

Think of me at the polling booth. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment