Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Present. The Nature of Things. The Fox and the Fiddle.

Whooppee, I got my new bowling balls yesterday when we were at our Travel League game. I was so excited, they look absolutely great and I immediately started playing with them. Unfortunately we had nearly finished our game so I only got a few frames to use them. However, I got some good points using them so they made a good impression. The picture doesn't really do them justice, they are a lovely lavender colour and if you enlarge the picture, you can see my initials on them. Matt tells me that probably won't last though. I also got a new bowling bag which is also lavender although in the picture I took it looks blue. It takes my balls and my shoes. So Merry Christmas to me. I was hoping to find a picture of a car ad that is running these days, it amuses me, you see a car being bounced around to test its shocks (I think) it is on a platform, the camera pans back and you see a huge robot skipping on the platform to make the car bounce. I think it is quite funny seeing this very large robot skipping. Why skipping I wonder, why not just jumping up and down? The Nature of Things presented by David Suzuki last night was absolutely fascinating. It was all about the work they are doing with the brain talking to various scientists about their fields. People who have been blind all their lives can be taught to see in a different way. People who's balance has been shot to hell for one reason or another can be taught to balance themselves and ride bikes, etc. Others who have suffered paralysis through strokes or something similar are being taught to use other paths in their brains. This is basically what its is about. They have discovered the brain is able to make new paths to perform functions in a different way but to achieve the same results. I urge you to read The Brain that Changes Itself and see what I am talking about. There is also a 30 minute video segment. If you know anyone that is having problems they too should be made aware of this. I have written about similar subjects before and it is something I think is absolutely fascinating as it opens up the possibilities of new life conditions for so many. I think I mentioned we are going to join the Friday seniors bowling as well as the Monday league. So obviously today we are going to do just that. Then we have to go and have our flu shots. Sunday we are going with my young friend from Canadian Diabetes for Dim Sum. I have been looking forward to this for ages. Yesterday, we went to the Fox and the Fiddle for lunch, before bowling and they had pot stickers on the menu - I was tempted, but had their Mediterranean Bruschetta instead. I wasn't overly impressed although Matt had the same and thoroughly enjoyed his. There were a number of complaints about lunch which wasn't really warm enough. I think it may have been our fault for not telling the waitress right off that we were on a schedule. I think they maybe were trying to hurry too much and not warming stuff properly. For their web site click here. They call themselves an English pub so of course they have fish and chips, bangers and mash and shepherd's (which should really be cottage) pie on the menu but they had a great deal of other items yesterday. As some of you may have noticed earlier in the year, asparagus is one of my favourite foods. Looking through my Best Ever Christmas cookbook I found another recipe for the green delicacies. Asparagus with Tangy Herb Sauce Serves 8 6 x 250 g bunches asparagus 1/2 cup chopped chives Tangy Herb Sauce 1 cup watercress leaves, stalks removed 1/2 cup mint leaves 1½ cups mint leaves 1¼ cups sour cream 1 1/3 cups cream 1 Tbs lemon juice Add asparagus to a pan of boiling, salted, water cook over high heat for 4 minutes or until tender but not mushy, drain. Combine watercress and mint leaves in blender or food processor bowl, blend one minute or until finely chopped. Add sour cream, cream and lemon juice, blend 1 minute or until combined. Transfer mixture to medium pan, stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until hot. Divide asparagus into eight portions and serve each with a spoonful of sauce sprinkled with chives. Sauce can be made a day ahead. Store covered in fridge covered with plastic wrap. Heat just before serving. Not suitable for freezing. Have a great day.

7 comments:

  1. What a busy day you had! Nice busy, though:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had another busy one today. Seems to be that way at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo --

    They look great those bowling balls of yours. And no, they do not look blue.

    As Satima says you had a busy day but a happy one I can see.

    Best
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo -- I forgot to say ... I think that we do not know half of what the human brain gets up to. When murderers say that "voices" had told them to kill, I am sure that that was exactly what had happened. Therefore, whatever scientists can do to help us understand what's in our heads, all the better.

    Best
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping they will find a way for the brain to stimulate the sense of smell, I lost mine some 16 years ago and it would be a great joy to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. U2, Jo? I can't smell anything either, and haven't been able to since I was about 38.

    I think we might have discussed this before..the memory is not much better than the nose:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember if we discussed Anosmia (lack of sense of smell) or not Satima. I have been that way for around 16 years I think. There is a group on the web who discuss the problem. One guy came from England to Washington, DC to get treatment. It really cost him, but he did get cured. However, its not guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete