Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chicken Wings and Superbowl. Hips and Bowen

I haven't had chicken wings for ages and have recently been having a bit of a craving for them. However, in the States the Superbowl is coming up at the end of the month and someone on the radio was talking about snacks for a Superbowl party. She mentioned that 7 chicken wings is equal to 1,000 calories. One thousand calories!!!! I guess I won't be giving in to my craving after all. I once went to a Superbowl party at a friend's home and thoroughly enjoyed it. He was an American football nut and I actually understood what was going on for the first and only time. Actually today's recipe would also be good for a Superbowl party. A warning - I may not be around much for a while. My hip is beginning to give me a lot of pain so I might have to have something done. I don't want to right now as it is in the middle of our bowling season and just having got my own bowling balls, etc. etc. plus tournaments coming up. However, I am going to Let It Heal for some Bowen Therapy and noon today and hopefully it will help. I have a lot of faith in Bowen Therapy which helped me a lot last time I went to them. This pain came on very suddenly after bowling yesterday, I was fine whilst I was actually playing, but about an hour later, ow. Not only that I was playing really badly so I have no consolation whatsoever *g*. Some of you may not know that I already had one hip replaced about 4 years ago. I am not as bionic as Matt who has had two hips and a knee replaced. Hips are basically a doddle, knees are NOT funny however. I always enjoy Bruschetta (pronounced Brusketta by the way) and the Food and Drink magazine has a nice one. Focaccia Bruschetta with Roasted Red Pepper and Bocconcini Warm, substantial nibbles with drinks add to fireside relaxation. Fresh basil is an indulgence as is focaccia and combined they make these toasts memorable. The focaccia pieces should be sliced 3/4 inch thick and about 4 inches long. Topping 3 large sweet red peppers 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 1 tbs olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 1 large clove garlic, minced 2 tsp dry leaf oregano 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper 5 oz bocconcini 2 tbs toasted pine nuts Bruschetta 12 to 16 slices focaccia 2 tbs olive oil Roast peppers under broiler, turning frequently until skins are bubbling and blackened in places. Cool; then peel and seed. Slice peppers into strips, place in a bowl. Stir in basil, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper,until well mixed Dice cheese; there should be about 1 cup. Stir cheese and pine nuts into red pepper mixture (if making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to a day). When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Rub focaccia on both cut sides with olive oil. Toast each side 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Top each slice with some of the pepper mixture, pressing gently to secure atop focaccia. Return to the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until topping is hot and cheese is melted. Transfer to a warmed serving platter; serve immediately. My note: If you are unfamiliar with bocconcini, they are the small round buffalo mozzarella cheeses. Makes 12 to 16 nibbles. Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, Jo, I hope the Bowen helps your hip nd that you can have the replacement done with a minimum of inconvenience, if it turns out to be essential.

    Yeah, I know a lot of people pronounce bruschetta as brusketta but it ain't right. The Italian way is Broo-shetta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry, Jo - You're right - it's broo-sketta. (Long time since I did Italian!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that because an Italian I used to work with made sure I had the correct pronounciation. Tut tut girl, check your facts.

    Bowen helped, got another appointment next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo --

    Hip sounds bad. You seem to have it under control.

    Have you ever tried glucosamine?

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo --

    Forgot to say. As you will know I spoke about mozzarella a while ago.
    So here you've given me a recipe ...

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I ever tried glucosamine but Matt did for a while and swore it did no good. That could have been just him of course, even doctors say it helps.

    Glad that was a good recipe for you. We like those little Bocconcinis. Remembering trout recipes for you too if I come across any. Not for Satima of course LOL

    ReplyDelete