Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bush Fires, Lousy Bowling,

Here is a link to a personal ordeal, by a reporter, with the bush fires in Victoria, Australia which I hope you will read - I have seldom read such a harrowing story as this one in The Australian, especially now it is believed these fires were as a result of arson. In common with many, I hope the culprits are caught and punished to the max. Maybe they have lost their homes and loved ones in these fires they started, that would certainly be poetic justice. For those of you who worry about animals as I do, the RSPCA Victoria needs your help. To donate click here although you might have a little problem getting through. I was advised to try when I got up as the site would probably be less busy. I did that and got my donation through OK. I have received several descriptive emails from my friend who lives in the Adelaide area and it is enough to make you weep. She tells me it is not all arson, although she mentions that arsonists have been going back and re-setting fires that were under control. 93% of the people of Australia consider these arsonists should be treated as murderers. I am surprised the percentage isn't higher. There is a gallery of photos in the Australia's Herald Sun today, this picture of a Koala is one. If you would like to check them out click here although they are not all as nice as this one. Yesterday was bowling of course and I probably had the worst three games I have had in years. At least I made over 100 points in each game, but only just. I can't even blame my hip problem because whilst I was bowling it really wasn't giving me much problem, I just could not bowl yesterday. I have no idea why. I was over 100 pins below my average. Today, my hip is playing me up as I tried to 'go down' on my front leg which nearly crippled me. Only did it once. Even this little cartoon doesn't work - my ball did not terrify the pins one bit. Thursday I go to see the surgeon who did my hip replacement. Keep your fingers crossed I don't have to go in yet awhile. I have just remembered a little grouse I have. Certain areas, if not all, in the UK have voted not to use apostrophes on street signs, so St. Paul's is now St. Pauls. I think its disgusting to screw around with basic English punctuation that way. Maybe no-one gives a hoot but me, but I think maybe I should start a "disinter the apostrophe" campaign. Sunday night for supper we had Iscas. There was enough for two so we had the rest last night. It is a Portuguese liver dish which I think is absolutely delicious and I don't much like liver. I have posted the recipe on here before, but I am going to do so again because it is so good and I would love you to try it. Iscas Marinated Liver with Red Wine Sauce Foods of the World: Time Life Note: all measurements are English so a pint is 20 fluid ounces Serves 4 1/4 pt. dry red wine 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar 1 tsp of finely chopped garlic (or more if preferred) 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled 1/2 tsp salt Freshly ground black pepper 1 lb calf's liver, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices 2 1/2 tbs olive oil 3 rashers of bacon, coarsely chopped 2 tbs finely chopped parsley Put the wine, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, salt and a few grindings of pepper into a glass, enamelled or stainless-steel bowl or baking dish. Add the liver, turning the slices about with a spoon until they are evenly coated. Marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours. Heat the olive oil over a moderate heat in a large, heavy fry pan until a light haze forms above it. Add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown and crisp. Drain on a double thickness of paper towel. Remove the liver slices from the marinade and pat them dry with paper towel. Reserve the marinade. Heat the bacon fat remaining in the fry pan until it splutters. Add the liver and cook the slices about 2 minutes on each side, regulating the heat so they brown quickly and evenly without burning. Remove the liver to a heated dish. Quickly pour the reserved marinade into the pan and boil it uncovered over a high heat until it has reduced to about half, meanwhile scraping in any browned bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan. Taste for seasoning. Scatter the bacon pieces over the liver, pour the sauce over it and sprinkle with parsley. Serve at once. If you don't like liver, I recommend it. If you do like liver, I recommend it even more. Have a great day. If you live in Victoria, Au, have a soaking wet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment