Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Heiress, and Snow.

When I click on the Sitemeter it fascinates me to find out where some of my readers live. I often wonder who you are and do wish some of you would write a comment to let me know about yourselves. Some of you I already know of course, even if not many of you leave a comment. So, stop by and say hullo why don't you? Today I am going, with a friend, to St. Jacob's Schoolhouse Theatre (part of the Drayton group) to see The Heiress. This is a pretty ancient play, I took the lead in it (amateur of course) some 45 or so years ago, but I have never seen it performed. I believe it was originally a book (The House in Washington Square) and they made a movie, but I have never seen or read either. Oh yes, I have just Googled, it was a film in 1949 with Olivia de Havilland, Montgomery Clift and Ralph Richardson. Quite a prestigious cast. I feel like I am in good company LOL. This morning they actually had snow in Buffalo which is south west of us. I can't believe it already. Way too early. When we first came to Canada people told us November 15th was when the snow season started. Seems to be changing along with everything else on the weather front. There are other places which have reported snow already. Some in Canada and some in the States. Luckily we don't have mountains which seem to attract it more. Although for places like Buffalo its the lakes that do it. You can enlarge that map if you want to look. It doesn't show where we live, but its about 1 1/2 hours south west of Toronto, or roughly between the Toronto label and the 401 label. As you will see, Buffalo isn't that far from us as the crow flies, but luckily we don't get the snow they do. The actress, Valerie Berinelli, was on GMA the last two days talking about her great weight loss. This morning she came back to give a recipe for her soup which she says is wonderful when you feel hungry. I hadn't realised this was a Jenny Craig diet she had been following, but the soup looks pretty good. Valerie Bertinelli's Tuscan Style Soup The Actress Shares One of Her Favorite Low-Calorie Recipes From the kitchen of Valerie Bertinelli | Servings: 4 Tuscan Style Soup satisfies with 63 calories, 2 grams of fat and 300 milligrams of sodium. The recipe is courtesy of Jenny Craig, of which Valerie Bertinelli is a spokeswoman. For more of her favorite dishes visit www.jennycraig.com. Ingredients # 1 1/4 cup eggplant, peeled and cubed # 1 cup water # 1 can whole tomatoes, no salt added, undrained and chopped (14 1/2-ounce) # 1 can sliced mushrooms, drained (OR 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced) # 1 clove garlic, minced # 1 small summer (yellow) squash, coarsely chopped # 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, dried # 1/4 tsp salt # 1/8 tsp pepper # 12 oz can chicken broth, reduced sodium # 8 tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated Cooking Directions Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls; sprinkle 2 tbsp of Pecorino Romano cheese. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Too early for snow, yes, but the soup will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was contemplating turning some of my turkey stock into this soup.

    ReplyDelete