Thursday, February 11, 2010

Widget, Movie Rentals, Free Cereal.

Along with many others, I send a lot of ecards to people. What a lazy bunch we are becoming not buying a card for someone and mailing it, but sending it electronically. So easy isn't it? Anyway, one of the card programmes I belong to is Jacquie Lawson.com where you can find a wonderful selection of cards for all occasions. Every so often they email me to tell me they have a new card(s) available, today it was one for Valentine's Day, what else? However, this one is different, once the card has played itself out, you can download a widget of a puppy which will then live on your desktop. I am a sucker for such things although eventually I turn them off. Suffice to say I now have a puppy which periodically runs across my screen or sometimes just curls up and has a nap. Its cute and will keep me amused for a while. The picture is actually from the Valentine card, but its the same puppy. Being of the old school, I don't send Valentine cards to anyone but Matt although originally it was supposed to be sent from a secret admirer.
Last night I downloaded a rental version of Julie and Julia. Friends have said I/we should see the movie because of our interest in cooking, been meaning to check it out for a while, but decided to rent it from iTunes which is an inexpensive source of rental. Not sure if Matt will bother to watch it, he doesn't like the computer chair, but as its on the laptop I guess he could sit in his own chair in the living room to watch it. His complaint will probably be that the picture is too small!!! Oh well. I will watch it and hopefully enjoy it.
I just requested a box of free cereal from Kashi.com. I tried some of their snack bars last week and liked them. The first time I ate Kashi cereal, some years ago, I didn't enjoy it, but, the power of advertising, I thought I would try it again, especially as I can do so for free. I think you just get a one serving box. If you watch TV in North America, you can't have missed all the Kashi ads.
Yet another email I receive is from Simply Homemade which sends a bunch of recipes and right now, a Valentine recipe. I thought this looked tasty and pretty simple. Me being me, I would probably used bought pastry as I am no pastry chef.
Valentine's Berry Flan
Simply Homemade Share the love any time of year with our light and creamy berry flan. Try different fresh fruits to match the season. Preparation Time: 35 minutes Baking Time: 10 minutes Makes: About 8 servings Ingredients: Crust 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour 2 tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar, sifted 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened Filling 8 oz (250 g) cream cheese, softened 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar, sifted 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream 3 cups (750 mL) fresh red berries (strawberries, raspberries) Glaze (optional) 1/2 cup (125 mL) Smucker's® Pure Seedless Strawberry Jam 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice Directions: Crust 1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Combine flour and icing sugar. Cream butter and gradually blend in flour mixture. Work with hands to form a smooth dough. Press evenly on bottom and sides of 9” (23 cm) fluted pan with removable bottom; prick with fork and chill 15 minutes. 2. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until light golden. Cool thoroughly in pan on rack. Filling 3. Beat cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Whip cream until stiff peaks form and fold into cheese mixture. Spread evenly in baked crust and cover attractively with fruit, making a heart shape. Glaze (Optional) 4. If desired mix jam and lemon juice together until smooth and brush over fruit. Note: 1. Freezing: not recommended 2. Serve flan immediately at room temperature for maximum flavour. 3. Great throughout the year! Try different fruits to match the season - fresh or canned; grapes, apricots, blueberries, mandarins, kiwi, pineapple, blackberries, etc.
Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment