Monday, January 17, 2011

Bendy Toys!! Book, Actor.

A friend sent me this link over the weekend. Both Matt and I consider this quite incredible, Matt, being an ex gymnast, was particularly impressed. http://www.jokeroo.com/bin/player.swf?5f9f_f369 Do have a look.

Last night I finished a book called The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. What a powerful novel. In a way I am very sorry to have finished it. It is the story of a Jesuit mission to a planet in the Alpha CentaThe Sparrowuri system – the party consisted of 4 Jesuits and 4 civilians. They went because a San Juan receiver had picked up the most wonderful music coming from a planet in the area. The expedition ends up in disaster, but how it all happens is an excellent read. The story is predominantly told by the surviving Jesuit priest. If you get the chance, do read it. The author won all kinds of awards for this book which are well deserved. I did find the story a tad slow to get into at the beginning but…….

Oops, now I am in trouble, my friends have been discussColin Firthing Colin Firth and I hadn’t a clue who he was. I am assured he is the most gorgeous specimen of manhood to walk the earth!!! He has actually just received a Golden Globe award for his role in The King’s Speech. As I have not yet seen that movie and am not sure whether I saw Love Actually, I don’t really know how I would have come across him before. Oh, Google says he played a couple of other roles I must have seen as I did watch Bridget Jones’ Diary, not sure if I saw his version of Pride and Prejudice.

I have always enjoyed Picadillo, the South American ground beef dish, we have made it several times over the years. The following recipe is a new twist on an old theme, its part of their healthy meals series in Eating Well.

Apple Turkey Picadillo

From EatingWell: September/October 2007

This twist on the Latin American staple is made healthier with lean ground turkey and crisp apples. It doubles well. Try tucking it into whole-wheat tortillas or serve over instant brown rice for a quick and healthy supper.

2 servings Apple Turkey Picadillo

Ingredients

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/3 cup finely chopped red onion

1 clove garlic, minced

8 ounces 99%-lean ground turkey

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 medium tart green apple, peeled and chopped

1 cup chopped tomato

3 tablespoons chopped green olives

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup sliced scallion greens

Preparation
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
  2. Stir in cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in apple, tomato, olives and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring often, until any liquid in the pan has reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and serve.
Nutrition

Per serving : 246 Calories; 8 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 45 mg Cholesterol; 17 g Carbohydrates; 30 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 488 mg Sodium; 360 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean protein, 1 fat

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Jo, I am also carrying on about Colin Firth, and I've been doing so for some time. He is simply g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s! And the voice ... oh the voice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing something somewhere. He doesn't do a thing for me.

    ReplyDelete