Saturday, June 4, 2011

Aging, Cooking, Tiger Spa,

Hopefully we are going out to dinner tonight; last week our friends had to cancel as one of them was unwell, I do hope he will be OK this week. I guess its part of the trials and tribulations of aging. We are living so much longer, parts give out more and its not that easy to replace some of them or to do enough maintenance to keep them working efficiently as long as motorised wheelchairrequired. I was looking at people in motorised wheelchairs yesterday – you see them driving down the street, even in winter and that must be bloody cold, I then started wondering why they were like this, what was it that was causing them to be unable to walk. I mean, I have problems with walking but I know why and, with luck it can be cured eventually, I shouldn’t have to end up in a mobile chair of any kind so why are they I wonder? In this age of modern science and medicine, surely they can be enabled to walk normally.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, lots of sunshine, but not warm enough to sit out. Our weather seems to be very varied at the moment and won’t settle down to anything particular. A few days ago it was very hot and humid enough to swim in. The next day it was blowing a gale although still lots of sunshine. The temperatures are bouncing around like a yoyo. In the end I decided to make a large pot of tomato soup, one of my favouTomato Souprites, so I could put some in the freezer as I am just about out. I now have lots of fresh basil on hand which, in my opinion, really makes tomato soup. Especially if you swirl the soup with a dab of pesto when serving it. Gives it that extra little something. I use canned tomatoes as these days getting hold of enough really good flavoured tomatoes seems to be impossible. I could buy them by the bucket load when I lived in North Carolina.

Saw a funny clip on TV this morning, in Florida tigers jump willingly into a bubble bath. Apparently it cools them off and if it is lavender scented it helps keep the flies away. Keeps the tigers smelling good too.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Looking for this video clip, it appears lots of places give tigers bubble baths, who knew?

Another funny story in the news, MI6 hacked into an Al Qaeda web site superimposed a recipe for bomb making with a page of recipes for making cup cakes. Great, I’m all for it.

Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable and can be used like mashed potato to reduce calories when you eat, or even for thickening in soups. This following recipe sounds interesting and may well appear on our table very shortly. Matt is not a big fan of blue cheeses, but I think this would appeal to him too.

Roasted Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette

By A Nutritionist Eats
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Picture of Roasted Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Some vegetables are just plain better when they are roasted. Cauliflower is one of them for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat some raw cauliflower with hummus any day, but I devour it roasted. Adding a vinaigrette with blue cheese just takes it to the next level. I’ve been thinking of the leftovers ever since I placed them in the fridge.

Ingredients

1 head cauliflower, sliced into 1″ thick pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles
Salt & pepper

Instructions

Roast cauliflower in a 375° oven, about 20 minutes, or until edges start turning brown. Mix remaining ingredients and drizzle over warm cauliflower.

Total Servings: 4

Have a great weekend

Jo

6 comments:

  1. Cauliflower is a nice vegetable for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't mind cauliflower any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe, Jo! The NP loves cooking cauliflower au gratin, and I try to stay clear of anything with flour in it. This looks like a great alternative.

    I love eating raw cauli - or blanched as a crudite with cheese dip - or blended with tomato and pumpkin as a home-made soup...a very fave veg to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both enjoy cauliflower au gratin, but as you say, this sounds a nice change. I think you were overdue for your annual comment Lou, !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love cauliflower.
    I can tell you why they use the motorized wheel chairs--their arthritis is so bad they cannot walk. I don't know what you do for arthritis after having replacements done (knee, hip). You may fix the knee or the hip bone but you have 204 other bones that ache and cannot be fixed. Every time I go to the doctor my first question is 'anything new for osteoarthritis?' and the answer is 'no'. I've even tried all the folk medicine cures. Nothing has worked so far.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments Lulu - glad you enjoy my blog, always nice to hear.

    I never thought about arthritis that way, my husband has had two hips and a knee replaced, I have had one hip. But other bones just never occurred to me. Have you tried looking at ActiPatch, I use mine around 8 hours a day and am very pleased with the results. That way it should last me 3 months which is only $10 a month. It really has relieved my pain.

    ReplyDelete