Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Doctor Visit, Basil Café, More Rambling, Sexting

Out and about yesterday, we passed a church with a sign which really amused me, “If you are praying for rain, please stop”. We have had quite a bit of rain lately.

We went to the Basil Café, near our doctor’s for Basil Cafelunch, didn’t get in for my appointment for over an hour and that can be a problem when one has diabetes – if you go too long without stoking up it can cause one to be quite ill. We had basil, prosciutto and brie Paninis.  They were excellent. They toasted them for us and we both enjoyed the results. Also, we were staggered to learn our doctor is moving once again, it can’t be more than 3 years since she moved before. All my health figures were excellent I am pleased to say.

Whilst in the waiting room, some good friends of ours came in. We haven’t actually seen them in some while for one reason or another. So lots of chatting and catching up. Then a woman sitting opposite asked if I remembered her, I didn’t, turned out she was one of the owners of the store where we bought pool supplies years ago. I wouldn’t have remember her, I barely remember we had a pool.

At the Basil Café yesterday, I used the toepenerwashroom, and was interested to see the door had a toeopener. I’ve never seen one before and didn’t really know how to use it. The idea being once you have washed your hands you can use your foot to open the door to save spreading germs. I tried it and it seemed to unlock the door, but I didn’t manage to actually get it open although I am sure there must be a way to do so. The one shown in this picture is not quite the same, but the principle is. I took pix on my camera phone but can’t download them, not sure why.

One of the big things in the news at the moment is the story of a politician sexting. In case you don’t know that’s texting with a sex twist. It is being said that sexting with someone other than your spouse is being just as unfaithful as if you actually had conjugal relations with that person. Not sure about that, but on the other hand I wouldn’t like to think Matt had been having sexual chats by texting with anyone else. I guess it has to happen in your marriage before you can make a decision about it.

This recipe I found on Dessert du Jour this week made me a) hungry and b) think of England. This is such a typical English dessert from the old days. I think this is somewhat altered as I know we didn’t have low fat milk at that time.

Ginger Pudding


3 cups 1% low-fat milk, dividedGinger Pudding
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Dash of salt
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine 2 1/2 cups milk and ginger in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
Combine 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl, and stir with a whisk until well-blended. Gradually stir one-fourth of the hot milk mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining
milk mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute or until thick and creamy, stirring constantly. Remove
mixture from heat; stir in butter, rind, and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; cover surface of the pudding with plastic wrap. Chill.

Makes 6 servings.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment