Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Monday

can canYesterday I went bowling and much to my amazement all went well although later my legs did ache somewhat. I even bowled quite well I am pleased to say. I just wish I knew when I could get the other leg done. I almost feel I could dance the can can. I would love to have found a moving pic of a dancer, wasn’t able to.

For supper we dropped in at Vincenzo’s on the way home and bought some samosas, quite large ones too. A couple of vegetable Capreseones and a couple of chicken. The vegetable were pretty spicy. Both were nicely seasoned and we enjoyed them. I also bought some Caprese (see pic) which wasn’t great because the tomatoes weren’t ripe. Plus some Greek butter beans which were also good, not a bad supper.

The striking post office workers have been legislated back to work and yesterday apparently they started sorting and supposedly we should start getting mail today. Matt still has two Father’s Day cards to come, I wonder how long that will take? I still get bank statements in the mail although I check our account every day anyway. I cannot reconcile on line because they call things by different names and also I do transfers which don’t necessarily match properly. Still by checking as I do, I don’t have any real problems.

Today Matt is having an emg on his arm, I am not fully sure what that is even though I looked it up. The docs are wondering if perhaps he is not having TIAs after all. Wouldn’t that be something? She, the doc, talked carpal tunnel, but I am quite sure it isn’t that, I’ve had that for years. It sure ain’t what Matt has.

Watching GMA they are trying to make a pop star from an unknown in one week. Trouble is, the kid they’ve chosen can’t sing. I have no doubt she’ll make it, in my opinion most of the kids out there can’t sing anyway.

Caprese2Here is a Caprese recipe. I have always bought it made of little bocconcini cheeses, baby Mozzarella and grape or cherry tomatoes, however, sliced cheese and tomatoes work so long as the tomatoes are ripe and the cheese is really fresh.

Insalata Caprese

Epicurious | September 1996

by Faith Willinger
Red, White & Greens

(Tomato and Mozzarella Salad)

Insalata caprese (literally, the salad from Capri) is the perfect summertime dish for cooks in a hurry; slicing is the hardest part. The salad was created in the 1950s at the Trattoria da Vincenzo for regulars out for a light lunch. They'd order a just-picked tomato and fresh fior di latte (cow's-milk mozzarella — no buffalo on Capri). The salad has evolved on the island to include a few leaves of rughetta (wild arugula) and a pinch of dried wild oregano, both local products; everywhere else in Italy it takes the form of tomato, mozzarella and basil.

The dressing is always a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil — only. Vinegar would destroy the delicate flavour of the cheese and is never used. Because this salad is so simple, top-rate ingredients are imperative: Hothouse tomatoes and rubbery processed mozzarella are unacceptable.

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Yield: Serves 4 to 6untitled

ingredients

2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup packed fresh basil or arugula leaves, washed well and spun dry
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled, if using arugula instead of basil
3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
fine sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

preparation

On a large platter arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Sprinkle salad with oregano and arugula and drizzle with oil. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

No comments:

Post a Comment