Friday, June 3, 2011

Quinoa, Strike, Sleep to Slim.

Last night we tried the Cold Quinoa Salad which I posted on June 1. The packet of qucold_quinoa_salad_with_chicken_and_fetainoa I bought said cook the whole packet, the recipe said 2 cups, I ended up with probably 4 cups. I will know better next time and there will be a next time, it was very good and we both enjoyed it, the touch of bitterness provided by the radicchio made it delicious. I found lots more recipes for quinoa which I will be trying. I see it can be used as a breakfast food as well as something savoury. Obviously with the addition of some fruit and sweetening. I know it is full of excellent nutritional goodies. I doubt I will change my breakfast because I eat Fibre One which is packed with 14% fibre as opposed to 3% in quinoa. However, I may try it one day just to see what its like.

Today, in Canada, the postal workers haveCanada Post gone on strike. Sorry, but how stupid. A postal service is getting less and less required as more people use the internet or text messaging services, a lot of companies use couriers nowadays and postal services cannot compete efficiently in today’s market – at least not without drastic Postiechanges which would include laying off large numbers of employees and the idiots have gone on strike. This could destroy their jobs completely. It’s a well paid job in Canada too, although not one I personally would want to do; the delivery part that is. Can you imagine trudging snowy streets in freezing temperatures or boiling to death in the summer? About the only mail we ever get are bank statements and that is only because I name transactions one thing and they name them another and I guess I am too lazy to make them all match. I suppose I should do so in order to save paper.

I had an email from Real Age this morning who say the health gurus are now saying ‘flick that switch’ in order to lose weight – the theory being you need to get a really good night’s sleep to help lose weight and if your bedroom contains any light at all, you will react to it, that includes clocks with lights or even TVs. This is what they have to say http://tinyurl.com/3u3786l My personal problem is not light in the bedroom, but getting up two or three times a night to visit the bathroom, three cheers for diabetes. Otherwise I sleep like a log.

According to Eating Well, these Truffles should satisfy your cravings but not put weight on (unless you eat too many of course). The theme of their news letter today is about banning foods in order to help lose weight. The article talks about having treats during the day which tend to get increased (just one more scoop) or repeated too frequently. Even these below are going to cause problems in quantity.

Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles

From EatingWell: January/February 2010

These peanut butter-pretzel truffles satisfy your craving for something sweet and salty.

20 truffles  Peanut Butter & Pretzel

Ingredients

1/2 cup crunchy natural peanut butter

1/4 cup finely chopped salted pretzels

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)

Preparation
  1. Combine peanut butter and pretzels in a small bowl. Chill in the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes. Roll the peanut butter mixture into 20 balls (about 1 teaspoon each). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper and freeze until very firm, about 1 hour. Roll the frozen balls in melted chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition

Per truffle :64 Calories; 4 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 1 mg Cholesterol; 5 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 53 mg Sodium; 65 mg Potassium

Tips & Notes
  • Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
  • Tip: To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.

Have a great day

Jo

3 comments:

  1. Wow, no cooking, Jo! I could make those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are pretty easy looking. Salty chocolate seems to be all the rage these days too. At 63 calories each, I just might have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I think this truffle goodie is not for me. Sounds delicious though ...

    ReplyDelete