Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Baby, Golden Globes, Bowling. Italian Cruiser.

Baby Spoon

I had to copy this from Facebook, it really tickled my sense of humour, hope it makes you smile as well. Some people are so very clever with their comments.

I was delighted to hear that my current favourite programme, Downton Abbey, won a Golden Globe award this weekend. I personaBetty Whitelly believe it was a very deserving winner. Last night, we watched the celebration of Betty White’s 90th birthday, you could say she was roasted. It was very amusing with lots of well known personalities including the President wishing her a happy birthday. Obama was pretty funny actually. If he doesn’t win again, he has a possible future on the stage. Betty White is pretty incredible and still a regular performer on TV not to mention lots of guest appearances and even a few advertising spots. She really is a brilliant comedienne. I would like to think I would be as good when I was 90. Mostly I feel 90 already.

Matt went bowling without me again yesterday, I still don’t think I can manage it although I might have a go next week if I am feeling as good as I have been. My shoulder pain comes and goes at the moment, but I am no longer having to eat Tylenol 3 like candies. By the time my tests come up I will be as fit as a fiddle again!!!!

We often watch Wheel of Fortune and last night one of the prizes Cruise shipwas a trip on an Italian cruise ship in the Mediterranean. If it were me I would refuse, thank you very much. On the internet there are many pictures of the ship, taken at different stages. This one from a couple of days ago was the best in my opinion, there are much more recent pix I guess, they are watching as she sinks I assume.

Unlike the author of this article, I do like Brussels Sprouts, but I tend to get bored with same ol’, same ol’ with anything and so I was delighted to find this recipe.

Brussels Sprout Hash with Caramelized Shallots

ByDana Treat
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

Any article in a food magazine or post out in the blogosphere about Brussels sprouts will start with some kind of encouragement. “You may think you don’t like Brussels sprouts,” they will tell you, “But let me convince you to change your mind.”

I was totally one of those people. I like almost every single vegetable out there, but didn’t like those little cabbages. Because they aren’t really a “go to” vegetable for most people, I actually hadn’t really eaten them that many times. My mom nbrussels_sprout_hash_with_caramelized_shallotsever made them (probably because she knew we wouldn’t eat them), friends never made them, I certainly never made them. The one time I can recall eating them in recent memory was at a friend’s for Sunday dinner and I really hated the few bites I was able to choke down. They were whole and undercooked so chalky texture and foul flavor. I firmly put them in my dislike category.

Then, for some reason, last year I decided to make them for Thanksgiving. Maybe it was the article in Bon Appetit, maybe it was the addition of caramelized shallots, maybe it was the fact that the Brussels sprouts themselves are thinly sliced instead of whole. I don’t know – but I’m glad I branched out. These are, really truly, delicious. And yes, they will convert Brussels sprouts haters – they converted my husband and he really holds on to his food aversions. My brother Michael (one of those rare individuals who love Brussels sprouts) points out that anything with a bunch of butter in it tastes good, but I beg to differ. I made these yesterday to go with Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie and dialed the amount of butter way down and they were still incredibly tasty.

I made some changes to the original recipe from Bon Appetit magazine. I cut the amount of butter in half and upped the shallots. I also changed the method a bit. Be sure to use a big enough pan so that the sprouts get browned sufficiently. You can use a food processor to slice the sprouts.

Ingredients

3 tbsp. butter, divided
3/4 lb. shallots, thinly sliced
Coarse kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
4 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
Olive oil
1/4 – 1/2 cup water

Instructions

Halve Brussels sprouts lengthwise. Cut lengthwise into thin slices. Set aside.

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes. Scrape onto a plate and reserve. Wipe out skillet carefully with a paper towel.

Place skillet back over burner. Increase heat to medium-high. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. Add sprouts; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at the edges, about 6 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water and 1 tbsp. butter. Sauté until the water evaporates and sprouts are tender, adding more water if necessary. Add shallots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine

Total Servings: 8

Nutritional Information Per Serving

Calories: 115
Carbohydrates: 16.9g
Cholesterol: 11mg
Fat: 4.7g
Saturated Fat: 2.8g
Fiber: 3.2g
Sodium: 94mg
Protein: 4.0g

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment