Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mastectomies, Pancake Day, Alzheimer Hope, The Iron Lady.

Breast Cancer RibbonNews item on CBC at the moment, 9 women in Newfoundland and Labrador are suing because they had unnecessary mastectomies: their tests were misread!!! Eastern Health will not part with the tissue samples as they are the only ones they have, but have said a visiting pathologist is welcome to go to the labs where the testing was done. It turns out the samples showed pre-cancerous cells, NOT cancer cells. One woman, who had both breasts removed was told later that she wouldn’t get breast cancer ‘cos she’d never had it. As she hasn’t gotBreast Cancer breasts now either, I would say that was even more certain. I know I would be absolutely livid if it happened to me. I just looked at some pictures and there are some god-awful ones, I didn’t know that breast cancer could produce such dreadful symptoms. One tends to treat it much more lightly these days as there is so much they can do. After looking at those pictures, I have changed my mind. This picture is a fairly innocuous one. Having been converted myself after avoiding tests for years, ladies get you mammograms done.

crepe 001We enjoyed our crêpes on Tuesday, Matt had his with Maple syrup and I went the butter, sugar and lemon juice route. I made 8 crêpes in all so we have enough for a second helping – probably tonight. Its quite a while since I last made them, I am always dieting on Shrove Tuesday. I quite like the frozen ones from the grocery store, but Matt doesn’t as they are slightly sweetened. The picture shows the top one of the stack of 8. They were very good by the way.

Just read about another possible treatment for Alzheimer’s from my CARPAlzheimer's newsletter. What is great is that it is a drug  (Bexarotene) which is already approved for use in humans for skin cancer treatment, but in mice it appears to improve Alzheimer symptoms very quickly, and they are about to start clinical trials on humans. This is an illness which has always frightened me especially as some of my relatives had dementia in one form or another before they died. It really is a pretty dreadful disease, terrifying for both the patient and their family. 

Iron LadyI made it to see The Iron Lady last night and was surprised how many people were in the theatre. I was surprised the film started with her living with Alzheimer’s – I have since read she had several small strokes which could mean she has cerebral dementia – and proceeded with back flashes from her memories plus discussions with her husband who was actually no longer alive. It was very well done and I think Meryl Streep did a very good job, but I would like to have seen a lot more of her life, I have been reading that she was a chemist and then a barrister, none of which was mentioned in the movie. I would be hard put to say whether I enjoyed the movie or not. I certainly enjoyed most of it, but didn’t like the angle they used. On the other hand, maybe a portrayal of a great lady suffering from dementia was a good way of portraying her life. I recommend you see the movie and decide for yourself. I am glad I saw it. I just read that the film was focusing on the price she paid for power.

Today we have Travel League bowling with regular bowling tomorrow. Dunno if my legs can cope, we shall see.

I am planning this chicken dish within the next day or two.

Arroz con Pollo

From EatingWell: January/February 2011

Arroz con pollo, or chicken cooked with rice, is a common dish in Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean. We use quick-cooking brown rice here to help you get this on the table in just 40 minutes. Serve with a mixed green Arroz con Pollosalad tossed with cilantro-lime vinaigrette.

4 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (about 8 pieces), skin removed, trimmed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup instant brown rice
  • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
Preparation
  1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add half the chicken pieces, skinned-side down. Cook until browned on one side, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken; transfer to the plate.
  2. Add onion, garlic and tomato sauce to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 8 minutes. Stir in vegetables, cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the chicken over the rice.

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment