Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Onion and Carrot Bhajis, Hyaluronic Acid, Bowling

I just caught part of an ad on the radio where the guy was touting HY acidthe anti aging benefits of hyaluronic acid. He was citing the residents of  some country, didn’t catch where, and said the people looked very young for their ages and for instance there was an 83 yr. old man riding his motor cycle to bring goods to market, he said you wouldn’t get that in American. Why not. He should come to our bowling alley on Monday afternoons and see all the “elderly” people there who would be perfectly capable of driving a motor cycle even if they don’t do so. One of our friends there, who recently died, was still driving her car at 97 plus bowling twice a week, line dancing, maintaining her own home and so on, all without hyaluronic acid. Not only that, I Googled and according to the information I found, there is no scientific proof the hyaluronic acid hinders aging whether taken internally or applied to the face. It, however, recommended for the improvement of painful joints.

Bowling went pretty well yesterday. Bowled above average and had My_Ballone very good game, so that’s OK. Although I suspected it, one of the other bowlers beat me last Friday. Guess I won’t be winning any prizes at the banquet in a couple of weeks. Oh well. Matt did win bowler of the year for Friday however, well done Matt. I will be interested to see who’s team I will be on for the summer league. It is planned differently and we are sorted by averages, which is the normal way to do it, but most of the Monday league are only interested in being with their friends.

I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend looking for recipes for the rest of the alphabet. I now have them all planned so all I have to do is blether away for the rest of the blog each day. I did a broadcast recipe again on Tuesday and the DJ, Randy, said to let him know when I got to X, I said I would give him a clue, its Chinese.

I am not sure how authentic this recipe is, but bahjis are found in most Indian take-aways in the UK. The Mandarin restaurant, which is Chinese, cooks something similar and they are quite delicious.

Onion and Carrot Bhajis

Huey’s KitchenOnion_and_carrot_bhaji

Ingredients

  • 2 large onions, halved & finely sliced
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 2 small red chillies, seeded & sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • ¾ cup besan (chickpea) flour
  • 2 heaped tbs chopped fresh coriander
  • sea salt & freshly ground pepper
  • 1-2 large eggs
  • vegetable oil
  • 1-2 limes

Method

  • Bring a pot of boiling water to the boil. Turn off the heat, add the onions, toss and set aside for 3 mins. Drain very well.
  • Then mix together the onion, carrot, chillies, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, turmeric, flour, coriander, seasonings and one egg until well combined. (If too dry, add the other egg.)
  • Heat a thin layer of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and shallow fry spoonfuls of the mixture until golden brown on both sides, not overcrowding the pan. Then drain well on kitchen paper towels.
  • Serve with lime wedges on the side.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. I think many people think old before their time, as you say there is no reason for those in their 80's to be living a full life. The bhajis look nice will have to give them a try. Looking forward to seeing some of your other recipes. Blessings, Amanda

    Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I publish a recipe 6 days a week, although obviously right now I am doing them alphabetically. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete