Wednesday, May 16, 2012

That Green Stuff, Costco, Surgery, Bowling.

I said we were going to the doctor’s on Monday (for a change) we then went to Barrie’s Asparagus where Tim called me over to see the beginning process foAsparagus Flour 100 gramsr making asparagus flour. I could have cried, pounds and pounds of fresh asparagus being chopped up with a shovel. I ate a couple of spears before they could go in the mix. In fact the flour, which I mentioned last year, is then used for all kinds of foods including asparagus flavoured pasta and asparagus tortilla chips to name a couple. If you are interested you can got to my blog written in June last year. He said the asparagus he was chopping that day would be flour that night. Pretty fast process I guess. I asked if he had any pix and he said there would be a video on Facebook. If you are a member of Facebook you can see the video on their Facebook page. I was actually hoping for a still.

After Barrie’s we dropped in at Costco, bought the place and left. Well it does Costco Meat Counterseem like it, we haven’t been there for ages and our freezer was empty. We bumped into a friend and whilst I was chatting Matt carried on shopping. He picked up some fillet steaks and a man proceeded to tell him how much cheaper it was to buy a whole fillet at $99 a piece. Fine if you happen to have $99 extra. We spent enough money as it was buying various cuts of beef, chicken breasts with and without, salmon steaks, etc. etc. Adding another $100 to that wasn’t needed thank you. I do like the meat at Costco, it may not be as inexpensive as we can get in our local supermarket, but it is wonderful quality. If I had the money I could spend a lot more, but sadly I don’t. Maybe we shouldn’t have stopped buying lottery tickets !!! We ate a couple of the salmon steaks on Tuesday night, they were delicious. Very good salmon. A friend buys sides of salmon there and the two or three I have shared have been excellent.

Bowling yesterday, me, not Matt of course. I had one very good game, one lousy game and one not bad, so I guess I can’t complain. In the summer league we have team points etc. which makes it a bit more fun, somewhat competitive.

Today, whilst you are reading this, Matt is in the local hospital having his Kyphoplasty so I don’t know where I will be. He has to be there at 11:30 a.m. in case they can do it earlier than scheduled if things go quickly. Great if that happens. The surgeon’s secretary said so far they are not that busy today so here’s hoping. Whether I stay or not will depend on the availability of a parking spot not too far from the main doors.

For a change, a nice creamy dessert.

Cream Cheese Almond Bars

Contributed to Cooking.com By: Cheryl, 24 bars

Click here to find out more!I originally bought some of these at a bake sale (minus the toasted almonds) and couldn't rest until I found a recipe that emulated the total deliciousness I found that day!
INGREDIENTSCream Cheese Almond Bars

Crust:

1 c. butter

1/2 c. powdered sugar

2 c. flour

Filling:

8 oz. Cream cheese, softened

1/2 c. sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. Almond extract

Frosting:

1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

1 1/2 T. Milk

1/4 c. butter, softened

1 tsp. Almond extract

1/2 c. Toasted, sliced almonds

DIRECTIONS

Crust: Cut butter into dry ingredients and pat into 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes.

Filling: Mix sugar and cream cheese with mixer until well creamed. Beat in Eggs and almond extract until fluffy. Pour over crust while still hot. Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. Cool completely.

Frosting: Cream sugar and butter, add milk and almond extract, mix well. Spread evenly on baked, cooled filling. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. mmm, cream cheese almond bars....excuse me while clean the drool off my chin.

    I'll be trying this one.

    Oh, I hear you on the asparagus. Glad you grabbed a spear or two. But look at it this way, there will be some yummy pasta from it.

    You know? I could have the start of a great cookbook from reading these blog articles. I have 25% of one of the goodies you've had here. :-)

    Hope all went well with Matt.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Sia.

      Yes all went well although it was a long day. I figured we have spent 24 hours in the hospital in the last week and a half. Hope that's the end of it.

      Delete