Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Doc in US, Seafood Dinner

Well, what fun, I had a urinary tract infection whilst at home in ScopeCanada and had been treated for it but it still hadn’t cleared up so I had to go to a doctor yesterday. I come from a country where we don’t pay for medical services, the visit cost me $125. Yuk. I spoke to another doc who wanted $259. Then he prescribed me three drugs, all generic so he assured me they wouldn’t cost much, $58. America, you NEED social medicine. Fine if you are working for a company with medical coverage, but not everyone is, and I know from my own experience that medical insurance here is horrendously expensive.

In the morning I ran the dishwasher, its only a little one so fills fast. We ended up with water all over the floor, had to mop twice. Not major leaks, but leaks nevertheless. Called Maintenance, don’t know if they have been in as we have been out a lot.

In the evening we went to the seafood restaurant and I had a large plateful of fried oysters and fried shrimp – I really should learn to order a senior serving, there was a stack of food. Only just managed to eat it. Matt had crab cakes which he said were delicious. Never thought to take a camera.

Veggie Le Crunch

By The Sprouted Kitchen
WebMD Recipe from Foodily.com

There is nothing French about this recipe at all. But if you say anything with a French accent when you are not French, it makes you smile. Try it, veggie le crunch. It’s funny.

There have been all sorts of on-the-go-ness going on lately. It’s always something. Keeping busy is really a skill I could put on my resume, I am excellent at it. Needless to say, I am tired of protein bars, trail mix, and pears. They are foods intended to be had in small doses, and my body has been starving for vegetables. I do believe our bodies tell us what they need, and contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as craving lettuce. I needed these wraps badly, and the "large batch" I intended to snack on through the week was gone by the end of the day. You can call it lack of self control, veggie_le_crunchbut I think it was more of a survival reflex.

I suggest using farmers market and or organic vegetables here. When you are eating them raw like this, the genuine flavour of the vegetables is important.

Ingredients

  • 6-7 radishes, depending on size
  • 1 1/4 cup black beans, cooked and drained
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 cup pineapple, diced
  • 1 handful fresh basil
  • 1 head of lettuce, (any soft green will do)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon honey, (more to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
  • splash cholua/ tapatio hot sauce
  • salt/ pepper
  • juice of 1 lime

Instructions

  1. In a small blender or in a bowl, mix the avocado, buttermilk, vinegar, lime, honey, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to combine. The blender will make it smooth, but a bowl and whisk will still get you a dressing consistency.
  2. Use a mandolin to slice the radishes thin. Cut in fourths. Peel and halve the cucumber, scoop out the seeds and dice into small pieces. In a large bowl, combine the radish, cucumber, black beans, diced pineapple, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add desired amount of fresh basil (chopped or slivered).
  3. Here is where you make a decision for yourself. My husband prefers to put the veggie mix in the lettuce leaf and dribble dressing on top. I prefer to mix my dressing with the veggies and put them in the leaf, already dressed. Six of one, half dozen of another. Except my way is probably better :)

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments:

  1. Hope the visit to the docs has sorted you out Jo - I had similar issue last trip here (Fuerteventura). Somehow contracted blood poisoning (maybe from insect bite) and ended up with painful swollen hand/wrist/arm. I could have used the 'free' health system but would have taken days so I opted to visit a private practitioner and pay her (expensive prices). Luckily I claimed most of it back on our travel insurance.

    Hope you're enjoying the trip despite the health and dishwasher hitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here its not a choice of paying or free. Blood poisoning isn't funny is it, a bite can cause cellulitis which is ver serious. I am hoping insurance will reimburse me too.

      Going to supper with friends tonight should be fun.

      Delete