Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Benedict Resigns, Bowling, General, Buck House.

BenedictI think its pretty incredible new that the Pope is resigning. First one to do so in 600 years. I mean, Popes don’t resign. Mind you, Popes don’t marry these days although they used to do so once upon a time. I never understood why they opted for celibacy because it wasn’t originally part of their job description. Apparently the conclave of cardinals, who will elect a new pope, will take place some time in March. Guess they need time to travel there. Canada is already speculating on whether we might have a Canadian Pope. That would a feather in our caps. I have just read that Pope Benedict’s fisherman’s ring must be melted as part of his resignation. I seem to remember when he was selected 8 years ago it was stated that he would be a stop gap because I guess they couldn’t agree or something.

On a local note, Matt bowled up a storm having three games in the 190s and I had two very good games and one fair. It really is the Pin_Animation1oddest game, Next time we bowl, both, or either of us, could have trouble getting 100 points. Today the best player of all the seniors in our group bowled a 305. Not the first time he has bowled that kind of score, in fact I believe he has had a perfect game more than once. 450 if you are wondering. Apparently the Five Pin Bowling Association certify 15-30 perfect games annually, that does surprise me. I got 314 once but haven’t seen anything near that good a game since.

I am writing this on Monday night and the wind has been howling round out building most of the afternoon and evening. It was pretty wet this morning, then almost hail later on. Very odd weather really.

We had to go to another store to get my Activia yogurt today too, our local store doesn’t stock it any more which is a bummer. Whilst at Sobey’s, who do stock it, they had a Rib Roastspecial on rib roasts so having just eaten our last one over the weekend, we bought a couple more. I like my rib roast carved nice and thin, just like my father used to, he was the best carver I know/knew. I guess people just don’t learn to carve any more. Once upon a time in the days of large families and lots of different meats on the table, everyone was expected to learn to carve. I’m afraid I never did. We need to get stocked up a bit, Costco here we come. We are out of a few things, particularly lamb and just haven’t had a lot of time to go. Too busy going to the doctors or something. I have an appointment today and Matt has another on Thursday.

Was horrified to discover that next week’s Downton Abbey is the end of the season, oh no she wails. People who bought Free Bates tee shirts can put them away now, he was freed on Sunday night. I spent part of my time at the bowling alley talking about what happened and wondering why such and such didn’t happen etc. But if it all turned out as expected, I guess we wouldn’t watch it. Just Buckingham Palacebefore Downton there was a programme about Buckingham Palace which I found fascinating, didn’t know half the things about the place that I learned watching. For instance, I didn’t know there was a river underneath it, the Tyburn. Nor that Marble Arch was originally in front of the palace prior to them building the facade with which we are familiar. A lot of us in the UK refer to the place as Buck House, it was in fact Buckingham House when it was originally built by the Duke of Buckingham. Learned lots more. Amazing what one never knew.

So today is Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras and that means to me pancakes (crêpes) or gumbo. Here is a gumbo recipe.

Braised Chicken Gumbo

Source: © EatingWell Magazine

4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups
Braised Chicken Gumbo
INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups shredded chicken

2 cups canned diced tomatoes

2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 cup sliced okra, fresh or frozen (thawed)

3/4 cup instant brown rice (see Tip)

1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Tip : If you want to use rice that is not “instant,” stir in 1 cup of any leftover cooked rice instead. Or, if you have time, add 1/2 cup of quicker-cooking whole-grain rice, such as Bhutanese red rice or Kalijira rice and an additional 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth before adding the okra. Cook until the rice is almost tender, about 25 minutes (or according to package instructions) then add the okra and simmer until it is tender.

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, sauce, broth, okra, rice and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavours meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.

Have a great day

Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. I guess you're talking about Series 3 of Downton? So, you still have the 2 hour special to come (which we saw at Christmas). Series 4 is being made for viewing in Autumn 2013 in the UK but its a long time to wait ...

    I'd forgotten its pancake day (Shrove Tuesday). I have plenty of eggs so maybe we'll have some pancakes this evening. I've made Gumbo before but pretty sure my version had sausage/chorizo in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 2 hrs on Sunday night, I don't know what we get next week. This one included a cricket match and problems with Thomas and his inclinations.

      I might make some pancakes too, love them. Gumbos can have more or less anything in them. I frequently make one with shrimp and okra.

      Delete
  2. Not sure on the celibacy, unless they are all just trying to emulate Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get you Alex. Catholic priests are celibate. Although once upon a time they were not. I blogged about it once. Quite a few years ago now.

      Delete