Saturday, February 2, 2013

Snow, Bowling, Movie.

We are certainly making up for not having had much white stuff all Snow catwinter. We woke up to heavy snow on Friday morning and had to wend our way to the hospital for my ultra sound in fairly rough driving conditions, the ploughs had been through in some places.  We ended making better time than we expected and getting to the hospital way too early and then having to wait for half an hour or so. Driving home again was better because more roads had been cleared. Later in the afternoon, after we had been bowling, a friend phoned around 5 and mentioned the snow. We looked out of the window and everything was snowed under once again. Couldn’t see the roads, which had been clear around 3:30. So we are still crossing our fingers for the dinner party tonight. It looks lovely, but driving isn’t funny.

Bowling was the pits for me again although Matt wasn’t doing too badly. My first game was 20 above my average, and I went way downhill after that. Couple of others on my team were bowling up a storm. Ah well, they keep telling me I’m having fun.

Two for the RoadWatched an older movie on public TV last night, Two for the Road with Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney. Didn’t think I would stick with it but in fact I enjoyed it. It was described as a comedy, it wasn’t really that, certainly not the laugh out loud kind anyway, but it was a ‘nice’ movie I thought. It’s about a couple driving to the south of France and going back over their 12 year marriage. Hadn’t realised before, Albert Finney isn’t a bad looking guy. Or do I mean wasn’t? She was quite a looker too wasn’t she?

Mushrooms Canada sent out an interesting looking pizza recipe which I am sharing with you.

Truffled Roasted Crimini Pizza

by Mmm...is for Mommy

Ingredients

DoughMushroom Pizza

1 cup warm water

2 ¼ tsp (or I package) active dry yeast

1 tsp honey

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more for oiling bowl and pizza pan

Cornmeal for preparing pizza pan (2 tbsp or so)

Topping

2 large shallots, thickly sliced

2 cups crimini (or mini bella) mushrooms, thickly sliced

3 cloves garlic, quartered

2 tbsp dry white wine

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp dried herbs (I used thyme and a bit of sage)

2 cups grated cheese

2 tsp truffle oil

Method

To make the dough, I always use my KitchenAid stand mixer. I combine the yeast, warm water and honey in the mixing bowl and allow it to rest for about five minutes. Then I add the flour (I always measure my flour by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling it off with a knife), salt and olive oil and attach the dough hook and let it knead on speed 1 for 6 minutes. While the dough is kneading, fill a mug with water and put it in the microwave for two minutes... the warm, humid microwave will make the perfect rising spot for the dough. Once the dough is ready I remove the bowl from the mixer, slap the dough into a ball (love slapping dough... I’m weird) and while it’s out of the bowl I lightly oil the bowl and then pop the dough back in, loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in that warm microwave for 45 minutes to an hour.

While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 425 degrees and chop the shallots, mushrooms and garlic. In a shallow roasting pan, combine the chopped vegetables with the white wine, olive oil, pepper and herbs. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once about halfway through. When the mushrooms are roasted, take them out, scrape the roasting pan with a spoon to be sure to release all of the caramelized goodness... you want that flavour on your pizza, not in your dishwater. Then set them aside and allow to cool somewhat while the dough finishes its rise. When the dough is ready, press, toss, or roll (on a lightly floured board) the dough into whatever shape you are using. I usually use this recipe for a fairly thick crusted 16” pizza... you could make the same or do smaller or thinner crust versions - again, whatever works best for you.

Place your dough on an oiled pan that has been generously sprinkled with cornmeal (you can also use flour, but the cornmeal adds nice texture), cover the dough with cheese and then spread your roasted mushrooms evenly over the pizza. Bake on the bottom rack of a preheated 450 degree oven for 20-22 minutes, or in a convection oven at 400 degrees for about 16 minutes. When the pizza comes out of the oven, drizzle it with the truffle oil and a bit of finely chopped fresh herbs, if you have them.

Have a great weekend

Jo_thumb[2]

6 comments:

  1. I doubt we'll see any snow this year.

    That pizza recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, not even in the mountains. I thought places like Blowing Rock always got snow.

      I hadn't registered: except for the cheese it would be OK for you.

      Delete
  2. No snow here in Denver/Castle Rock, but more in the mountains, but it has been very, very cold. We really need the moisture; it's so dry here that our skin crackles. Many, many bottles of lotion adorn the bathroom shelves. Love the kitty photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well so far, and not that long to go, our dinner party will be a go. Lots of snow, but the roads are pretty clear now. I have to use lots of lotion anyway, particularly on my hands.

      The kitty made a change from usual snow pix.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been bowling in maybe 15 years. In fact, I guess it's something I only do every 15 years or so. I guess I'm due to go again.

    I love watching older films. I watch them frequently in fact.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are talking 10 pin Lee. The only time we do that is when we are on vacation in NC. Otherwise we play 5 pin which was invented in Canada and not played anywhere else.

      Yes, some older films are fabulous.

      Delete