Saturday, June 1, 2013

Asparagus, Wallpaper, Book, Vandals.

clip_image002Thursday afternoon saw us off to the asparagus farm again. I had used up all I bought last time, can’t go a day without asparagus, the season is so short. I told one of the servers that I had run out, she said “good” I queried, she said “that means you’ve been eating it”, I’m sorry, what else would I be doing with it? Seemed a rather odd comment to make. I have been making the asparagus and endive salad quite a bit, lovely on a summer evening with a touch of orange in the flavour.

I have changed my wallpaper again on my laptop, I couldn’t resist this little critter, a Fénec or soul of the desert, actually a desert fox. Isn’t he cute?
clip_image003
So my owl has disappeared. The picture is courtesy of National Geographic again. I would love to have this little fox he’s adorable.

I am currently reading a Brandon Sanderson novel, he is one of my favourite authors, called clip_image005The Rithmatist. Not only am I reading the novel, I am busy learning how to do what Rithmatists do. Every chapter has a drawing with explanations of what they mean. Rithmatists draw magic ‘things’ with chalk on the ground, well anywhere with a flat surface, but mostly on the ground, for defense or attack. Their bugaboos are chalklings, nasty two dimensional figures drawn in chalk and given commands to attack. Quite nasty, well actually some of them can be quite nice if there isn’t a duel or a war goingclip_image006 on. One character likes to draw friendly unicorns. I gather though, that whatever you choose to draw can be either good or bad depending on the situation and what the artist wants.

Popped over to see some friends, partly to deliver Avon, they were not very happy campers as someone, kids on presumes, but…. had vandalised their front yard tipping things over and breaking them, throwing plant pots and feeders around, etc.etc. The husband likes to build stuff and being a Dutchman he has a home made windmill standing in the front, that was fairly well smashed although he has managed to repair it fairly well. This happened at 4 a.m. if you please. I’d throw them around if I got hold of the perpetrators, well I couldn’t but maybe I would set Father Dragon on to them..

This recipe was published by The Guardian, an English newspaper. I thought it looked good and sounded better. It will be on my table any time soon.

Ribboned asparagus salad with avocado dressing


This salad is a true celebration of spring. Fresh asparagus in season tastes even better raw than cooked. It's full of flavour, colour and juice. Shave the stalks as thin as you can and mix a few simple salad ingredients and a creamy dressing.

clip_image008Serves 4
 
800g asparagus
1 cucumber
16 cherry tomatoes
100g flat-leaf parsley
20g parmesan, freshly grated
For the dressing
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ ripe avocado, stone removed
Salt and black pepper

1 Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. Using a vegetable peeler and starting from the bottom end of the asparagus, shave upwards to create thin ribbons. Place all the ribbons in a large serving bowl.
2 Slice the cucumber lengthways and cut into bite-size pieces. Cut the tomatoes in half and coarsely chop the parsley. Add these to the bowl.
3 Place the dressing ingredients in a blender and blitz until creamy. Add a dash of oil or water if necessary. Dress and toss the salad so it's evenly coated.
4 Top with parmesan shavings, then serve.

After reading a post by Arlee Bird, I don’t like to say Have a Great Day. How about wishing you all the best? I’d forgotten it was the weekend, have a wonderful weekend.
clip_image010

18 comments:

  1. That fox is adorable! I love those ears and that squishy little body.

    Would you believe I've never had raw asparagus? That seems so silly considering how I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor had I until I got to know the farmer. He gave me a spear to try once and I have been eating it off and on ever since. However, its best to eat it strait from the farm when you know its really fresh. Stuff from the store just wouldn't taste the same.

      Delete
  2. That salad sounds very healthy. I wish my wife liked asparagus. Actually she'd probably like this if I could get her to try it.

    And don't listen to me. I think it's nice for you to say "Have a great day!" Besides if someone reads this post on Monday they'll have to wait all week for that "wonderful week-end".

    I guess we could say, "Have a great life!"

    Anyway,
    Have a nice day--what time is it there now anyway?

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now its 1.03 p.m. not sure where you are located Lee, but I am in southern Ontario - I can never remember what time zone that is.

      OK, I will go with my old sayings.

      Delete
  3. Shame someone had to break his things. Some people have no respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grow asparagus and am the only one in the house to eat it. It tastes really sweet raw. A friend of mine told me years ago, but I wasn't so sure. But, he was right. I have been known to sneak it into dishes here and there.
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grow asparagus when I lived in England, but didn't know about eating it raw in those days.

      Tim Barrie always says it tastes like sweet peas, and I agree, it does somewhat.

      Delete
  5. We been eating a lot of asparagus too, mainly the white kind. And I think Father Dragon would be more than happy to knock some sense into the little punks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the stuff as you can guess. The farm doesn't grow the white. I have friends who will only eat white, but if you can only get it in stores, I don't want to know.

      If only they could find them.

      Delete
  6. Such a cute little fox, bet they grow up into fierce big foxes, although still a handsome animal.

    Asparagus - I was trying to think of a veggie I loved as much and the only thing I can come up with is the tomato, but it's really a fruit isn't it? Guess the meat and potato -- hey that's it, the potato! I'm not allergic, but don't consume because of the high carb count, but yes, that would be my go to veggie - one I would eat in all the ways you've described. Even raw, as it's great, at least a little of it, for a sour stomach.
    Although, I do love the fresh cool taste of the tomato.(homegrown - none of those hot house plastic things)
    Funny thing is my hubby puts catsup on everything, and hates tomatoes. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did some Googling and I think that is a fully grown fox.

      I love tomatoes, the homegrown, too. Potatoes not so much. I have never met anyone else who ate raw potato, I have done so since a child. Like you I don't eat potato much any more though. Yes, it is odd about your hubby's tastes.

      Delete
  7. How sad that someone was so destructive to their things! Pranks are one thing, but it's a different ballgame when they actually ruin something. :( How cruel.

    That desert fox sure is cute! I think foxes of any kind are adorable. Can't help it. I photographed one up at the peak of our local big mountain. Just chillin' at over 14,000 feet altitude, eating donuts someone must have accidentally put on their car roof and driven off without. Probably not the healthiest meal for a fox, but I figure meandering back DOWN said mountain would work them off. ;)

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreadful really.

      I think he is the most attractive little critter. Originally thought it was a youngster, but appears to be adult. No I shouldn't think donuts are good for a fox, but they get plenty of exercise don't they?

      Delete
  8. My kids would love to have a Fénec for a pet.

    Hmmm .... I wonder how it would taste in a Ribboned asparagus salad with avocado dressing. Okay, ust kidding. I started by Sunday evening bottle of wine a bit early tonight.

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Stephen. Have our wine on a Saturday.

      Delete
  9. I think I like raw asparagus better than steamed...although roasted is pretty great. anyway I tried this one! Really good. I have to admit that I fudged the quantities some as I am a measuring moron...but it was great! I have a strange digestive issue so I can only eat very small amounts of salads etc...which means I choose wisely...its gotta be worth it and this one was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Zoe, I meant to try it myself this weekend but didn't get a chance. Glad you did and enjoyed it.

      Delete