Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Plagiarism, Guy Fawkes, Emigration

Jewel of ShaylarWith regard to the plagiarism I wrote about yesterday, it appears that Laura Eno, who wrote the Jewel of Shaylar, is re-publishing the book under a new name Diamonds and Dust and under a new pen name, River FaircDiamonds and Dusthild. However, another author friend of mine has said the following “One  doesn't change the name of an already published book, not in a place where it goes by another name, because people may buy it by accident when they already have a copy. And then you don't change the author's name either--not  without saying something on the cover. It's dishonest.” So, Laura this is good advice, I hope you will take it. I know I would have been really teed off to buy the book and find I already had it. I actually like the first name better anyway.

I had totally forgotten that November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day in England, I usually make some kind of comment. I like to quote the rhyme:

GuyFawkesRemember, remember the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

In England we celebrate by having big bonfires and burning Guy Fawkes in effigy, not sure why him, he wasn’t the principal in the plot after all. We also let off lots of fireworks. It was an evening I always loved, especially cooking baking potatoes in the bonfire which when we ate them came out half burned and half raw.

As I said, I had forgotten for the first time since I have been in North America, which is 38 years this month, at which time I will have spent longer here than I did in my native country of England. In some respects it doesn’t seem that long, in others it seems almost as though we have always lived here. Matt came at the beginning of October to bedtake up his job, but I followed on the 28th of October loaded up with 6 suitcases and a German Shepherd. We went to supper with English colleagues of Matt’s and despite having travelled all day, plus spent the evening out, although we arrived home at what was technically 3 a.m. for me, I didn’t sleep too well, we didn’t have a bed. We had a couple of duvets which I had been carrying, but that was it. The next day we not only bought a bed, but the salesman’s son drove it over that evening in his pickup. We were so very grateful. 

I got a very simple slow cooker recipe from a friend at bowling the other day so thought I would share it. I am certainly going to try it soon. My friend doesn’t have a computer, but having Googled it looks as though this recipe comes from Allrecipes.ca.


Pork Tenderloin in Slow Cooker

1 (2 lb) tenderloinPork Tenderloin in Slow Cooker
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine
3 Tbs minced garlic
3 Tbs soy sauce
Black pepper

1. Place meat in slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet.
2. Pour water, wine and soy sauce over the top, turning the meat to coat. Spread garlic over the pork.
3. Cover and cook. Low 4 to 4 1/4 hours, serve with cooking liquid on the side as 'au jus'

Servings: 4


Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad you got the River/Laura author/plagiarism scenario sorted out and I can see it'd be frustrating .. I'm just glad I caught your post.

    Love pork and slowly cooked is always delicious ... 38 years over there .. it's done you well .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was frustrating.

      I love pork too. Amazing its 38 years isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I was upset whenI found out that Nelson DeMille was re-releasing a novel from the 1970's - The Quest - as a new book. I was sure I had read it back then. I reread it and time has altered my memory, so it was like 'new' to me. And I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's something of a time difference. This book was released in April. Not only that the author has changed her name and the title.

      Delete
  3. I do have the original version of her book on my iPad. I don't think the new one comes out until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment came from Andrew Leon. I have no idea why it didn't publish.

    Plagiarism is a difficult thing because it's not about ideas and thoughts about about stealing the actual words and story points. As for republishing the same book with a new title and a different author name... I think I have ambivalence. I can see, to a certain extent, why someone would want to do that -and- why it might not matter so much for a new, struggling author. On the other hand... I'd be pissed, too, if I bought a book I thought sounded good only to find out that it was because it was the same book I already read.

    I guess it is difficult to pinpoint every time. I too would be very annoyed at buying the same book twice.

    ReplyDelete