Monday, January 12, 2015

Family Pictures, Health.

How about that, I have very few pix of me or my family when I was a little girl. Sunday I received one of my mother and I – from Australia no less – a cousin I have recently met on line who is dealing with my family history now the previous cousin, who was dealing with it, is deceased.
Grace. Josephine Duttson 1942
I don’t know how old I was, 4 or 5 perhaps. My mother’s Marcel Wave makes me smile. They were very fashionable once upon a time. Amazing that cousins have pix of  me/us that I don’t have. There was one of my father too.

Geoffery Duttson

Haven’t a clue where it was taken but it was obviously a sunny day. Looks a bit like a beer mug in his hand. There were a couple of pix of his siblings too. My mother changed when she was older, my father never did.
My Parents
This pic was taken when they lived in Malta, late 60’s I think.MotherDaddy2



The pic of my mother was taken in the living room on their boat and the one of my father in my dining room – probably in the early 60s.




Having been nagged to death by friends, I went to see a doctor on Saturday about my bruise which I was told was probably bleeding. The doc said nothing to worry about it was proceeding normally (which is what I had thought personally). When I accused my friends of nagging they assured me it was only because they cared. Thanks so much for caring I do appreciate it. She does want me to have some blood work done. Not sure why. I have to go for my regular diabetes clinic on Tuesday and it says don’t exercise when you get blood taken so can’t do it on Monday because of bowling. Anyway, no big rush I don’t think. I finally decided bowling doesn’t classify as strenuous exercise so made an appointment for Monday morning. I have been going on about my leg bruise but I have several others, one on my arm, one on my side, another on my hip and Saturday discovered my big toe was bruised under the nail.

A friend in the UK sent me this recipe for a soup she made the other day, I like the sound of it, so thought I would share it. I meant to post this a while ago but never did, don’t know why.

 

Curried Brussels Sprouts Soup [vegan]

By theflexitarian

Curry and Brussels sprouts might sound an odd couple but it works. Garam curried-brussels-sprouts-soup-800_thmassala is very fragrant and it blends nicely against the Brussels sprouts flavour. Try it even if Brussels sprouts is not your favourite. You’ll be surprised!
This soup has the same satisfying texture than pea soup. Perfect to ride the cold and wet weather.
Ingredients
  • 500g Brussels sprouts [1 lb]
  • 300g Savoy Cabbage [11 oz]
  • 300g potatoes (peeled and diced) [11 oz]
  • 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
  • 1 onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 tsp garam massala
  • small bunch fresh coriander
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1.7 litre vegetable stock [UK 3 pints / US 7 cups]
Instructions
  • 1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Gently fry onion, garlic and garam massala for 5 mins until soft,
  • 2. Add Brussels sprouts chopped in half, Savoy cabbage roughly chopped and potatoes. Mix well and fry gently for 5 mins.
  • 3. Add vegetable stock. Bring to boil. reduce heat and cook covered for 25mins or so until vegetables are soft.
  • 4. Add fresh coriander and liquidise (blend) the soup.
  • 5. Season to taste.
  • Servings : 6-8
Have a great day
Jo_thumb2

20 comments:

  1. I love seeing old pics of the family that someone has in their possession. One of my FB friends said she found a pic of me when I was very little with her sister, but b/c her sis isn't online, she wasn't sure how to get it to me. Their parents and mine were close till their mom passed away....I was about 7 or 8 when she died. I wouldn't say that these girls were 'friends' as they were much older than me, but I would LOVE to see this photo of me & Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would JoJo, I was delighted with these pix.

      Delete
  2. Great family photos, Jo. As far as I know there are none of me before I was 12 - and only in school sport groups then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there were lots, but my mother died in Canada and her flat was in England so I never did get the family albums.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your cousin sent those photos. You're right, your father didn't change much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Diane. He actually did his changing during the war years, when I was a kid the only photo I had of him (he was in Rhodesia) he had a full head of hair. When he came home, he was bald..

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - I've got some baby photos and probably have more tucked away - but not hundreds: I'm pleased to say. Lovely photos of your parents. Good the bruise scenario is being sorted out or looked at this morning - when your morning arrives. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helps when neither you nor your family emigrate or move around that much. Yup off to get blood work done in a few minutes and its flipping snowing again, grr.

      Delete
  5. Glad the bruise wasn't anything serious.
    Sorry, can't do Brussels Sprouts in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason the Reply button won't work. Anyway Alex, it might not be serious, but it bl**dy hurts. LOL.

    I think Brussels would be good like this. I haven't enjoyed them lately but that might be the water as I mentioned in a previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old family photos. Isn't it funny as the generations go on and cameras become more prevalent/easy to use that pictures of young ones become more and more plentiful? I have maybe 20-30 pictures of me from infancy to the age of 6. That's it. Meanwhile, I know people that have taken 20-30 pictures of their baby just this month and posted it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have even less pix of me as a child, but I know what you mean. People go picture crazy over their youngsters.

      Delete
  8. Always enjoy old family photos, they recreate memories. Also thanks for a vegan recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable little girl you were Jo! My cousins sent me some old photos last year which I loved seeing as well. It's amazing the memories old photos trigger. I'm not surprised you have so many bruises coming out after your fall. You must have strong bones not to have broken anything. I actually like Brussels sprouts. They taste like baby cabbage to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly ma'am. They are nice to see especially as I have so few.

      It's all the calcium I have consumed over the yeaars.

      D'you think so? I think they have quite a different taste.

      Delete
  10. I don't recall trying curry... I must do that. I love anything Brussels Sprouts!

    Hope things work out soon with the bruises. Sounds more painful than anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried curry. You don't know what you are missing. You need a good Indian restaurant to try a proper curry not just something curry flavoured.

      Thanks Dixie, you are right, painful is the correct word.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you had the bruise checked out. Better safe than sorry, especially after a fall. So nice of your cousin to send you the pictures of your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too but I wouldn't admit it to all those people I said were naggers LOL.

      Wasn't it?

      Delete