Friday, March 18, 2016

Hip, More about Bugs, Bowling, Plastic Surgeon

So I went to see this 16 yr old kid today (Thursday) about my hip. No really, he did not look old enough to be a doctor, let alone a surgeon. I told him so too. However, I liked him and he was very good at showing me and telling me all the problems. I do not need a hip replacement, hurrah, he said the pain I had had a month or so ago was a flare up caused by my fall before Christmas, but he proved to me that I have bursitis in my upper thigh/hip area (that is the pain I have suffered in bed at night) and we have arranged for me to have a cortisone injection in a few week's time. I think that must have been weighing on my mind, along with a few other buggy things, because I felt very much better, mentally, after we left. We then went bowling and I thrashed the old man. Woo hoo.

I had a phone call in the morning from Terry, the manager/owner of the real estate company which is returning.
runs this building. She says the pest control people are telling her that we are not co-operating with them and doing what tenants are requested to do before they come in. Really. I wonder what all that stuff was in plastic bags, not to mention all the pictures taken off the walls and switch plates removed, dresser drawers emptied, ornaments removed from all the rooms and so on? As I pointed out to Terry, we did what we could but as a couple of oldsters etc. some things were difficult to do anyway. We have spent over $150 on the laundry machines in the last few weeks. amazing how quickly $2 a time mounts up. That's for both thedryer and the washer so if using them both, $4. But we are not co-operating? I actually think I am beginning to get on top of the job anyway and once I spread the diatomaceous earth around (Matt says I like that word), I firmly believe we will not need them any more. I spoke to a woman in our corridor who has the same problem and she tells me she hired a company to do all the vacuuming which is necessary etc. and it has cost her $700 which she is going to claim from the landlords. She'll be lucky. I told her my cleaners would have done it for a lot less. I think she was nuts to pay that kind of money. I have also been told, by the same neighbour, that the guy where it all started, across the hall, is not coming back anyway. Not sure how true that is. The super says he

Friday Matt has to see the plastic surgeon about his skin cancer again. Should be fairly easy to deal with this time, unlike when his leg had to be treated. I assume they can do it in their own clinic instead of going to the hospital If only we had known how dangerous the sun was 70 years or so ago. He will not be seeing the same doctor as she is on pregnancy leave I gather, but this one looks just as attractive on line. I wonder if she too will be a disappointment when we see her.

I kind of invented a dish for supper on Wednesday. It was an amalgum of two or three recipes but it worked pretty well. Looks a bit messy but I am no photographer I'm afraid. It was pretty good to eat though.

Chicken in Foil

2 leeks, washed and cleaned
1 carrot
Seasoning
2 chicken breasts
Thyme
olive oil
2 Tbs yoghurt
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
wine

1. Prepare two pieces of foil to be made into packets. Big enough to cover everything above in two packets. Place on a cookie sheet with the edges turned up.

2. Slice the leeks in rounds. Use mainly the white parts. Slice the carrot. Divide the vegetables between the packets and season.

3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper as well as some thyme. Place each  breast on top of the vegetables and drizzle with a little oil.

4. In a small bowl, mix yoghurt, mustard and wine (not too much of the latter, just enough to make it spreadable) and cover the chicken breasts with the mixture.

5. Close up the packets tightly so they don't leak and place in a 375°F oven for 25-30 minutes. Unwrap carefully to ensure the steam doesn't burn you. Place the chicken on a plate and tip the vegetables and juice over top. Arrange more prettily than I did.

Servings: 2


Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad the hip problem has been identified. Glad Matt's treatment should be easier.

    The bugs and all the palava - does not sound fair .. take care and all the best ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Hilary. Still get some pain in the hip but not too serious.

      It sure isn't fair.

      Delete
  2. I like the word 'diatomaceous'! I'd like to throw it into conversation but can't think of a time when it might be relevant! Hope all goes well with you and yours with your medical problems. P.S. I like the sound of that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good word isn't it PL. Thanks, seems things are going well at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Glad to know your hip is OK. I've had bursitis in one of my hips and know how painful it can be. Have you Googled the company doing the work in your apartment? Frankly, they do not sound too competent from what you are telling us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise.

      No, not thought about Googling them. I shall do so right now.

      Delete
    2. Hm, it appears to be a big company with branches all over Ontario, however I found a page of comments and there is not one good one. The replies from the company are very pleasant and apologetic offering to fix any problems. But.....

      Delete
    3. As I suspected. I've had a similar experience with a tree service.

      Delete
    4. Trouble is, I can't do anything about it Denise. I am not hiring them.

      Delete
  4. I'm at the age where my doctors are now younger than me too. Yikes, when did that happen?? Glad you don't need surgery. Wonderful news. I need to go bowling again. It's always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Younger than me is one thing Elsie, but this guy really looked like a kid. Obviously he wasn't, but I couldn't believe how young he looked. Yes, good I don't need surgery. I, of course, do 5 pin bowling which is only played in Canada.

      Delete
  5. What a relief about your hip! Not that bursitis is any fun but it's better than a replacement. How does the earth stop the bed bugs? Do you have to put it on your carpet or floor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JoJo, nice to know there's no surgery in my immediate future.

      Yes, you put a ring of it round your bed and in several other places like bed frames etc. to make a safe zone. Then you expand outward putting it in the cracks of base boards, puffing it into electric receptacles and so on. It takes a while but it dessicates the bed bugs. They say it takes between 7 - 17 days. I don't think we have too many left now because I have been using my steamer a lot. But I am still getting bites now and again. It is perfectly harmless to humans so long as you buy food or pet grade. Keep your fingers crossed it works.

      Delete
  6. I honestly thing it is better to get a younger doctor than one who has been in practice for a few years. The young ones are fresh out of school, eager to do a great job, sometimes more thorough than the "old timers." I can see that on the reports I type with young ones versus older ones. Glad you liked your doctor!

    Terrible about the super believing the word of the pest company rather than getting to the root of the problem sooner by contacting the renters.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right Betty. This young man was very good although I was sorry to see the older one retire. Anyway, not having surgery, so doesn't matter right now.

      Maybe I should send these reports to the realtor.

      Delete
  7. Happy to hear you don't need surgery. Good news for you and Matt. Those damn bugs though, and then being accused of not cooperating, that sucks! I guess if they're bad at their jobs it's easier to blame the tenant. I hope your trial ends soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is good news Yolanda. They certainly don't seem to have achieved a lot here. I hope so too, I am getting somewhat fed up with bugs.

      Delete
  8. How on Earth do you pronounce diatomaceous? Die-u-tom-ay-shis?
    Love it that you thrashed the old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno Pinky. But I think that's about right.

      Doesn't often happen, he usually beats me.

      Delete
  9. Oh, the things we get to experience in the Golden Years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Invented meals, yum. Love those. Sorry to hear that they are giving you crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it was very good Ivy. I know, I am just hoping I can cure it myself and then tell them what to do with their pest control people.

      Delete
  11. Bursitis is horrible. I had it in a shoulder once and the cortisone injection did wonders. so fingers crossed it works for you.
    The realtors and bug exterminators are trying to cover themselves, I suspect, but that doesn't help you any. I think you should send them the reports. It probably won't change anything but at least they won't be able to claim ignorance any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember having it in the shoulder once too Helen.

      What reports? I agree they are trying to cover themselves.

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean reports - brain is somewhat overwhelmed at the moment. I meant the comments you found online.

      Delete
  12. I am glad there is no surgery happening but sorry to hear about the bursitis. I have that in my right hip so I do understand the pain. I wish you could do something about these morons who would rather say you are difficult than apologize for not getting the job done. I hope that guy is out...I shall cross my fingers. Congrats on the bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need a cortisone injection too Birgit.

      Well I am working to make sure the bugs have gone before they come back.

      Delete