Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Diamond, Foot Nurse, Bowling, Asparagus.

On Saturday I came across a news story about the world's second largest diamond which is as big as a tennis ball. It was unearthed in Botswana but is owned by Canada's Lucara Diamond Corporation and is called the Lesedi la Rona. It is expected to fetch $90 million and it's not even cut yet. It is the biggest stone discovered since 1905 when the world's largest diamond, the Cullinan, was unearthed. That was cut into nine pieces which are part of the British Crown Jewels. At the link above it talks about Joseph Lau a Hong Kong billionaire who recently bought a huge diamond at auction for something like $48.5 billion US and gave it to his daughter for her 7th birthday. I would assume it will spend most of her life locked up in a safe somewhere. Of course if I had a stone like that, I would be set for the rest of my life.

Today, finally, our foot nurse is calling. She hasn't been since we first got bed bugs. The reason being obvious. However, my feet really need her attention. I have a foot nurse is because of my diabetes and as Matt is pre diabetic he uses her too.

We went bowling Monday, last  time on a Monday until the Winter League starts again. It was incredibly quiet. Three young girls came in and bowled one game. At two a crowd of handicapped people came in downstairs. They come every week I believe. They tend to be a bit noisy, some more than others. Brad, the son/grandson of the owners, said he had had emails from his dad and they were enjoying themselves. Of course Brad emailed them for Mother's Day. I believe he actually went to his Grandmother's for Mother's Day.

As she is coming at noon, I think I will spend some time today making cream of asparagus soup as I have totally run out of last year's supply. This recipe was originally provided by Tim Barrie's mom (Barrie's Asparagus Farm) and we enjoy it very much. It is also very simple to make. I just realised I need more asparagus as I like to use 2lbs at once. Plus I have to get a couple of bags of asparagus for others in the building. Think I will get some rhubarb too. I meant to the other day and then forgot.


Barrie's Asparagus Soup Recipe

My Mom's Famous!!!

1 lb asparagus chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs butter or margarine
2 Tbs flour
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
fresh chives for garnish

1. In a covered saucepan, boil the asparagus, onion and 1 cup of chicken broth. When the asparagus is tender and still bright green, blend to a purée (this purée can be frozen and used for future batches of soup.

2. In a large saucepan heat the butter and flour on medium to make a paste (roux). Cook until golden. Stir occasionally as you add the 2nd cup chicken broth, making sure lumps don't form.

3. Stir in the salt, pepper, purée, milk. Bring to a boil.

4. Take soup off heat. Measure the yogurt or sour cream into a bowl and stir in spoonsful of hot soup, little by little. Now, carefully stir this warmed yogurt or sour cream mixture back into the pan of soup.

5. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, or to taste.

6. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with chopped chives - makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of soup.

Servings: 4


Source: Mrs. Barrie


Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Mmm, love asparagus. Thanks for the follow back on GFC. I can't imagine blogging daily again, though I did it for more than a year when I first started out. I rarely have more than 1 lb of asparagus on hand. It grows well in Hawaii, year round, but it needs more sun than I have at home. I grow it at the community garden, but am not there daily to harvest when it's shooting up spears. Courtney - Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be there every day Courtney. In season I eat it all the time but I guess if it grows year round it's less special. You will find this blog is littered with asparagus recipes during the season.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping asparagus has come down in price this week as I need it for a quiche I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope so too JoJo. The price you quoted last week was extremely expensive.

      Delete
  3. That is one big diamond!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is Betty. How about wearing that on your finger LOL.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - I saw that diamond thing - just too much ... Hope the foot nurse did her stuff for you both ... and that you enjoyed the extra time available making up asparagus soup - love it ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see it when it's cut. She is still here at the moment, but my feet feel heaps better. Not made the soup yet, didn't have enough asparagus. I like to use 2 lbs plus all the other stuff doubled.

      Delete
  5. You know you have too much money when you buy a diamond like that for your seven-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth Alex. Ridiculous but then I guess it's insurance for her future.

      Delete
  6. Geez...I got a Barbie or something when I was 7. That is one huge diamond and I wish it would be cut and then shown in a museum instead of some filthy rich person who just locks it away. Glad you are getting your feet done. My mom used a foot nurse since she had a hard time to bend down plus she has macular degeneration. She used the foot nurse until her memory started going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what I got at 7 but certainly not a rock like that Birgit. A museum seems a bit of a waste too though. Love getting my feet done and having them taken care of. It's because of diabetes that we do it. Sorry your mom had to stop. Is she still alive?

      Delete
    2. Yes, my mom is still alive but she has dementia. She is currently at Heidehof, a long term care home. She can still converse and knows who I am but she refuses to have her feet done or a bath which has caused a lot of issues. Due to patient rights, if a patient refuses, the PSW can't force them or they could be fired plus they don't have the time to coax the person so my moms toenails were not getting done. I didn't know this until I tricked my mom and took her sock off and saw her toenails. I was horrified and so upset with myself for being a bad daughter. Her nails were so long that they were curved over the her other toes. This happened back in March so now the head nurse knows and my moms feet have been taken care of. She also has not been fighting to get a bath done so that's good. It's such a battle. She is now 88!

      Delete
  7. Yes. I think even a seven year old would be set for life with a diamond like that. Glad to hear the foot nurse is back. I bet you missed her. Interesting job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly would be Pinky. Yes we did miss the foot nurse but it's all OK now. Well she is a registered nurse but has just decided to concentrate on feet rather than working in a hospital or something. Don't know her history, but our previous nurse could no longer cope with the work in a hospital which is why she set up a foot clinic.

      Delete