Tuesday, May 17, 2016

My Noisy Life, Stand up to Falls, Barrie's Asparagus Farm,

What a short memory I have. Monday morning I heard voices outside and thought it was the tenant upstairs who uses his cell phone on his balcony and talks in a loud voice. Matt reminded me it was the construction workers once more. A couple of hours later, the alarm bells rang. We were warned that they were testing them today but I had forgotten that too. The bells will be rung frequently throughout the day and the construction workers will be there til about 5:30 using their crane which beeps when backed up. Not to mention all the other noises. Ain't life grand. One compensation just occurred to me, once they start working on our wing the cell phone guy won't be able to go out onto his balcony. Three cheers. Unfortunately we can't just disappear because I have exercise classes and the Stand Up to Falls seminar to attend. For two pins I'd say nuts to it and let's go bowling, but I really don't want to miss the seminars.

Oops, having written the above, I went back into my computer room, in my nightdress and this is what I saw.

Guess I will have to be careful from now on. It will be even worse when they are working on our wing. Our living, dining room wall is all window and looks out onto the balcony where they will be working.

Unfortunately, our exercise class, followed by our Stand Up to Falls seminar was rather spoilt because they were drilling right outside the window. With the exercises, she could just do something and we could copy, but the poor young lady who was trying to talk to us about falls had to keep stopping whilst they made one heck of a noise. I even asked them if they could stop drilling for 20 minutes or so, but they wouldn't do so. With any luck, they shouldn't have to do any more drilling there on Friday. Our instructor was laughing at the end, drilling one moment, alarm bell the next. At least we won't have the alarm bells for another year.

As we finished early decided to head out to the asparagus farm. I had $65 worth of orders for both asparagus and rhubarb and then I forgot one friend. I ended up dividing my asparagus with her. I was going to make more soup but don't have enough now. My fault, I goofed. The farmer served me and popped a bag of their Kettle chips in my rhubarb bag as a thanks. I wish he hadn't, I tried some later, they are delicious. Very moreish. I have had to hide them from myself.


Asparagus Shandong-Style (Liang Ban Lu-Sun)

1 ½ lbs asparagus, trimmed and cut crosswise on the diagonal into 2" pieces
1 Tbs Japanese reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp Asian sesame oil
2 drops red chile oil
½ tsp toasted sesame seeds

1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus to pot and cook until tender-crisp and bright green, 1½–2 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain, then immediately plunge into a large bowl of ice water; set aside to cool, 2–3 minutes. Drain again, then transfer to paper towels, pat dry, and set aside.

2. Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, and chile oil in a medium bowl. Add asparagus and toss. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds.

Servings: 2

Source: Saveur

Author Notes
A specialty of Shandong province, this dish is traditionally reserved for banquets because asparagus is so expensive in China. But in the United States, when the price comes down in summer, take advantage of this flavorful dish.


Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. You reminded me why I'm glad I live out in the middle of nowhere! There was construction in a neighborhood across the street, for a while, though. It can be pretty noisy, even all the way over there. I can't imagine how loud it would be that close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beginning to get funny yesterday. However, we have decided to disappear to the bowling alley for a while today. The trouble is Stephanie, it wouldn't matter where we lived, this is on our building.

      Delete
  2. Are kettle chips the same as kettle corn? With the light sweetness? I love kettle corn. Sounds like you are in for a noisy summer. You might want to keep the drapes shut on your windows for privacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they are like regular potato chips but cooked in a kettle I gather. You are right about that JoJo, very noisy. I don't think we need to worry about privacy as we have sheers on our main windows and they can't really see into any of the others. Will likely be a bit different when they do our balcony though, but that won't be til next year I assume.

      Delete
  3. It is always hard to have workmen around, especially noisy ones. Seems though you tried to make the best out of the situation.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just hope they won't be drilling right outside the window on Friday for the next seminar session Betty. We disappeared to the bowling alley for a while this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. That sort of life upheaval annoys me greatly. You seem very calm about it. Where did you hide the Kettle chips so that you couldn't find them? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does me Pinky, but I guess we have to put up with it for the next couple of years. The building is Y shaped so I figure they will do each of 6 sides at a time which means we have to go through the wing opposite as well as our wing.

      Actually on top of the freezer. I can find them but they are not too tempting up there.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow the noise followed you everywhere. Hopefully this will go by fast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Birgit, but as they are not getting to us for 2 years, I am not hopeful. I am sorry if I miss your comments, for some reason yours don't show up in my email, I don't know why.

      Delete
  6. You had to hid them from yourself. That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I finished them in the end, but as they were out of sight, I didn't just gobble them up Ivy.

      Delete