Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Prove It, Swept Away, Balconies


This cartoon was stolen from How to Geek. They do have some good ones.


Monday I was delighted to receive a copy of Swept Away by Elizabeth Seckman. I helped Liz with editing and proofing and read her book several times - I have read and enjoyed all her books mind you. Despite having read it so many times, Liz sent me a final ecopy and I was disgusted that it kept me out of my bed til the wee small hours. Yes, it's that good and I had already read it so I knew what the end was.

Opening the book I expected Liz to have written something and signed it. It was a delightful thank you note. Then I turned another page and there was a dedication to me as Jo Wake. The grandmother of dragons. I was thrilled to see that and emailed Liz straight away with my thanks. Never had a book actually dedicated to me before. It makes one feel pretty good. In case you are wondering, I am honorary grandmother to Father Dragon of Dragon on a Mission fame.

So do read this book, I thoroughly recommend it. It is not just a straight girly romance - there are some rather nasty characters in it not least of which is the heroine's mother. Nothing romantic about her at all. Once again, thank you Liz both for the stories you write and the book you have sent me. Follow Liz at http://www.eseckman.blogspot.com.


I guess I was wrong, they are not just replacing the walls of our balconies. Today they are drilling out the floors. These are two, somewhat dusty, pictures. I was pleased to see there are metal bars underneath, I always wondered what held the balconies in place. Now I know.



They are drilling out the concrete. I am not sure how far back at the moment as they are standing on it and the one underneath is obscured by the platform. I was also told that once they have finished the wing they are on, opposite us, they will be going to the other side of it and not to us. I do hope that's wrong. Seems illogical to me anyway. But what do I know? I checked this out with someone who should know and that is what they are doing. We will not see them working on our wing until next year, at least.

I had forgotten this recipe. Lobster is not that available to me so I have never tried it although lobster is one of my favourite foods.

Asparagus and Lobster Crêpes with Fines Herbes Hollandaise Sauce


1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed
Cooked meat of 1 large lobster, or 2 lobster tails (about 1 1/2 lbs loster before cooking)
sprinkling of salt plus 1/2 tsp.
Fines Herbes

Hollandaise

2 Tbs white wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 large egg yolks
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened and cubed
2 Tbs lemon juice
white pepper to taste
1 Tbs fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 Tbs fresh chives, finely chopped
1 Tbs fresh chervil, finely chopped.

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.

2. In a large pot, steam or boil asparagus until just tender, about 10 mins, cool under cold water, drain and set aside.

3. Coarsely chop cooked lobster, set aside

4. Prepare crêpes.

5. Divide the asparagus into 8 separate bundles. Place a bundle in each of 8 crêpes, sprinkle with salt and roll to enclose. Place asparagus in a glass baking dish, top with lobster and cover with foil. Just before serving, and no sooner, place in heated oven for 15 mins to warm through.

6. In a small saucepan over medium high heat reduce (boil) vinegar, water and 1/2 tsp salt until approximately 3 tbs remains, remove from heat.

7. Lower heat to medium-low, add yolks to pan and return to heat, whisking constantly until foamy and lightly thickened. Make sure not to scramble eggs; if the eggs begin to cook too quickly pull off the heat and whisk vigorously to cool slightly before continuing.

8. Begin to whisk butter into pan 1 cube at a time. Once all the butter is incorporated, whisk in lemon juice, white pepper and fresh herbs. Use immediately.

9. Place two asparagus crêpes on each plate and top each with some of the warmed lobster. Spoon Hollandaise overtop, serve immediately

Servings: 4

Have a great day
 

28 comments:

  1. I suppose I consider every one of us to be dragons- even those of us who don't breathe fire and those who wear masks.

    You totally deserved the book. You are the greatest help and support and the dearest, most wonderful lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Liz. You really make me feel good.

      I will treasure this book.

      Delete
    2. As I treasure you, my sweet friend.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Liz.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - how wonderful to have a book dedicated to you - what a delightful surprise. No wonder you're chuffed.

    That lobster and asparagus crepe dish sounds delicious.

    Good luck with that noise, dust and hell and begone - ?! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful Hilary. I am certainly chuffed.

      Just wish I could get lobster easily, so damned expensive these days.

      Luck is definitely a need round here.

      Delete
  3. What a nice honor! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have a dedication in a book you've helped with - and now I've got to add another book to my ever growing to be read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Helen. I have my name in the thanks for help areas in a couple of Glenda Larke's books, but to have actual dedication to me is wonderful. I love Liz's books. I am not normally much of a romance reader, but hers are a very good read.

      Delete
  5. Too bad you don't live down here...it's the lobster capital of the world. Russell hauls them out to upstate NY and every now and then he brings some home (if he's doing a roundtrip and coming right home). I'm allergic to it so sadly he hasn't brought it home. Even cooking in the house, over and above the smell that I don't like, my allergies start bugging me. I hope when they replace the steel in the balconies that they are using good steel. A lot of new bridges are having a lot of problems with the cheap Asian steel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about "of the world" JoJo, if I lived down east in Canada there are plenty of lobsters available there too. The churches have lobster teas for instance. Poor Russell unable to cook himself a lobster or two. Can't he fix up a portable stove in the shed or something?

      Assuming they are replacing the steel JoJo. And don't forget we are in Canada, we may not be buying Asian steel. I don't know.

      Delete
  6. How cool to have a book dedicated to you! Sounds like a good one!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really cool she dedicated it to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Alex. I am so proud and pleased for her to have done this. Taking it to the alley tomorrow to show off LOL

      Delete
  8. Wow...how wonderful and so very, very sweet. This is so nice especially that it is so very well meant and deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgit. I was thrilled I must say.

      Delete
  9. Ha! Love the first pic. Now that's funny! And great to have a book dedicated to you. It's people like you who make life easier for a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so Stephen. Thanks. I love to help by doing what I love to do.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful to have a book dedicated to you, Jo. Another string to your bow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Then I turned another page and there was a dedication to me as Jo Wake. The grandmother of dragons. I was thrilled to see that and emailed Liz straight away with my thanks. Never had a book actually dedicated to me before. It makes one feel pretty good.""

    How wonderful and you didn't even know. Even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful Ivy.

      Delete
    2. This is, to me, the best part about blogging. Making new friends.

      Delete
    3. You are so very right Ivy. Not only that when you actually meet these friends f2f, it's just like you've known them for years.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I agree. we had one spend the weekend here once. Such great fun.

      Delete
    5. Never had that happen Ivy, but did meet a friend from South Africa whom I have known as a cyber friend for many years, also another friend in Portugal. We stayed with her a couple of nights. Met a number of English cyber friends and a whole bunch from this continent.

      Delete