Thursday, July 14, 2016

Bowling, Air Boot,

My home is a thorough mess (see yesterday's post), my hips/thighs/back are hurting, but I had two super games at bowling today (Wednesday) so at least something is working for me. One was 160 the second 211. I even got a turkey (three strikes) which I haven't had in I don't know how long. Considering the way I have been bowling lately, I am over the moon about these scores. Matt had a bad day so he wasn't too happy. The team we were against this week contains four of the best bowlers we have so we were pleased to score 3 points out of the possible 7. Our last game was great.

Tuesday we went to a friend's and spent the morning with her and then she took us to lunch at a
Vietnamese/Thai restaurant Ben Than she knew. Good place for lunch and I had a noodle soup. Matt had Ginger Chicken I think. She was pleased to get out as, having broken her ankle, she has been climbing the walls as she is unable to drive at the moment. She is hoping to be able to start doing without her 'boot' in the next day or two. These boots are really quite impressive. Just read that David Beckham wore one for a while. So much better than the old plaster cast idea. Although my friend will be awful glad to get out of hers I know.

This recipe from the New York Times really appeals to me although there are many who wouldn't even consider eating it. I wonder if we can get dry packed scallops. I must make enquiries.

Sea Scallop Carpaccio

  • Yield 6 appetizer servings








Ingredients

  • 1 large shallot, peeled and sliced thin crosswise
  • Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon) or kosher salt
  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • ¾ pound large sea scallops
  • 8 ounces small cherry tomatoes, halved
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (peperoncino)
  • 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
  • Handful of basil leaves
  • 1 large lime, halved
  • Fruity extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

    Preparation

    1. Put sliced shallots in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add vinegar and mix gently, keeping shallots submerged. Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. (May be made 1 or 2 days in advance and refrigerated.) Remaining vinegar may be reserved for another use, such as salad dressing.
    2. With a sharp knife, slice each scallop crosswise into very thin slices. Distribute slices among six chilled plates, laying them flat in a circular pattern. Arrange halved cherry tomatoes over each plate. Sprinkle scallop and tomatoes with salt, a little peperoncino, a few capers and some pickled shallot.
    3. Garnish with torn or sliced basil leaves and some small basil leaves. Give each plate a squeeze of lime juice and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.


    Have a great day
     

    20 comments:

    1. Congratulations on three strikes!
      Hope you get your place in order soon. Does it look like all the bugs are gone?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Alex.

        Yes, but the reason the pest people come back in two weeks is because of the eggs, in case there are some they missed and that have hatched.

        Delete
    2. Great bowling! Sounded like fun with lunch with your friend. It is amazing what they have done over the years to improve casts and so many other things with medicine and health.

      betty

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Betty. It was a fun lunch. Yes, it is amazing. They use air somehow, didn't fully understand it and was too lazy to read up on it.

        Delete
    3. Congrats on the great bowling and three strikes! I think I've gotten one strike in my entire life!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks JoJo. It's not the first time by any means, but the first time in a very, very long time.

        Delete
    4. Hi Jo - it does sound as though it's been an awful time for you - thankfully you seem to be able to do some fun things - the Vietnamese restaurant sounds delicious ... as too the Scallops Carpaccio ...

      Good luck with all things ... cheers Hilary

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yup Hilary, not much fun at all but bowling helps keep us sane. Not sure why, we haven't been bowling too well although Matt got himself a turkey today. Jealousy LOL

        Delete
    5. Cheers to your turkey! Who knew that was a compliment? I always just thought I bowled like a turkey because of the way I wobble toward the line and wing my ball straight toward the gutter.

      The recipe looks amazing. Now... if only I could find fresh, large scallops around here. Best we can do is frozen tiny scallops... and those aren't nearly the same.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Bryan, Matt went and got one today but of course it's not league bowling today. I don't bowl well with 10 pin either, nor does Matt. Don't do it often enough.

        We used to only get bay scallops in NC when we lived there. I guess they work too.

        Delete
    6. Congratulations on the bowling.

      The boot looks interesting. I saw one just a few days ago for the first time - on one of the physiotherapists where I do pilates. She was much more mobile than she would have been with an old fashioned cast so it's obviously a great improvement.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Helen. Funnily enough, one of the owners at the bowling alley said, today, they were totally useless!! He apparently wore one some time back. Will see how my friend does.

        Delete
    7. Kudos to you on your bowling, Jo! I used to bowl on a league when I was in my 30's and my highest score ever was 222. I bowled the duck pins. It is a great sport! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Linda. Not my highest scores, but highest for a long while. Never bowled duck pins Have tried 10 pin a few times though.

        Delete
    8. Three strikes! Woohoo! I hope the pain eases. And yes I agree, moon boots are a great invention.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Long time since I last did that. Pain has eased thanks Pinky. Moon Boot? I haven't heard them called that before.

        Delete