Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Dinner Out, Flu Shot, Shark Cage,

Monday, I didn't bowl worth a damn, was feeling a tad off anyway, one of the owners suggested Matt should take me out for dinner at the Mandarin. Way to go, we did just that. Only trouble was, I was hoping to get some duck but that had finished on the 23rd. I did get some great ribs. They also had different desserts which were good. The staff were promoting the prime rib of beef. I do not go to the Mandarin for European food.

Tuesday we went for our flu shots. After lunch I didn't feel too good at all. Not sure if it was the shot or something else.

I wrote about Jaws the other day and an Australian blogging friend, Pinky Poinker, pointed me in the direction of a movie she saw of a Great White shark actually crashing into a shark cage and getting inside it. Not funny.


Sunday night I didn't feel much like cooking either, so I did some googling and discovered the following recipe from the New York Times. It doesn't look all that pretty when finished but it tastes very good. I didn't have any chives so I used some sweet onion chopped. I didn't totally mince the garlic either. Finally, I served it over toast.

Scrambled Eggs With Mushrooms

1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
½ lb cultivated or wild mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced (2 cups sliced)
1 to 2 garlic cloves (to taste), minced (optional)
Salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 to 2 Tbs minced chives (to taste)
6 to 8 eggs
2 Tbs low-fat milk

1. Heat the oil or butter over medium-high heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until they begin to sweat. Add the garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, five to eight minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in the chives.

2. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, and beat in the milk. Add to the skillet. Cook, stirring every few seconds, until the eggs are scrambled. Remove from the heat, and serve.

Servings: 4

Tips
Advance preparation: You can prepare the mushrooms through Step 1 several hours ahead. Reheat over medium heat, and proceed with the recipe.

Source: The New York Times

Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet that guy saw his life flash before his eyes. He is damned lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looked a bit shell shocked when he climbed out didn't he Alex?

      Delete
  2. I love eggs and veggies. I've never used mushrooms. I used to hate them, but finding I like them as I get older. Maybe I am refining my palette.

    I got a flu shot this year (first ever) and my arm swelled where the injection was and I got a stuffy nose. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are finding other things you like Liz. Maybe you will get to like asparagus LOL

      Thanks, glad you got the shot. Matt never gets any reaction, I do.

      Delete
  3. I haven't gotten my flu shot yet. I was going to but then I got sick. I will get one eventually, maybe at my physical next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, ours are free JoJo. I saw in NC once they were charging $20.

      Delete
  4. Tim got sick every flippin' year after that shot so last year he stopped, never got sick. I know some say you shouldn't get sick after or that a very small percent do, but they can say what they want. I know what we lived and he doesn't want to get them again.

    Me, I won't get them at all.

    Sorry about the duck and the bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, definitely stop Ivy. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. He did, it was a big a difference too. He missed over a week of work after each shot.

      Delete
    3. Not good Ivy, not good at all. Must admit I felt rough after it this time.

      Delete
    4. Hope you feel all the way better, soon.

      Delete
  5. Oh my God! What if they hadn't opened the top? I'm glad the diver wasn't hurt, but it appeared the poor shark was. I have a thing for great whites. Dangerous but so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Diane. The shark looked pretty scared I thought. They are an incredible creature and perfectly designed.

      Delete
  6. I've been getting flu shots forever. Only had a reaction once that needed to be reported. Never get the flu. Wish they had a shot to prevent colds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally get a sore arm but nothing more Denise. Matt doesn't even get that. I couldn't swear I got a reaction but couldn't figure any other reason for feeling so rough.

      Delete
  7. Scotto and I and my mother all had our flu shots but my father didn't. consequently, he got the flu very badly and couldn't even eat or drink for three days and was bed ridden for over a week. Mum, who sleeps in the same bed didn't catch it. Even if it makes you feel a bit off for a day or two it's definitely worth it. I hope you feel better soon. Glad you like the shark thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your dad got so ill Pinky. Why didn't he have the shot? Great that your mother didn't catch it from him. I was better today thanks. Yeah, that was really something. Sorry for the shark though.

      Delete
  8. A shark inside a shark cage with someone in it....YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only scary Sandra, but quite incredible.

      Delete
  9. Do you know that man in the shark cage is already back out there with his cute buddies. I think he is crazy and I would never be in the ocean when sharks could be around. I watched the show on sink holes which was very interesting...so sad about the old town in Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary though Birgit, I then Googled about sink holes in Ontario and frightened myself even further.

      Delete
  10. You have had the worst luck with duck this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Carrie. I will make sure we go to the Mandarin in the evening during next year's Moon Festival.

      Delete