Saturday, September 30, 2017

Travel League, Creepy Crawlies,

Sorry I was missing in action yesterday, not really sure why. It was a Travel League day and we
joined the group at the Red Lobster for lunch. I had a Caesar Salad with shrimp which was pretty good. Then to the bowling alley and once we got going it was fun if not terribly great scores. The second game we played was Bowling Bingo which I enjoy but Matt doesn't. He isn't alone. I am not sure why because I think it is fun. You get a bingo card up on the computer and you have to try and get all the scores on the card, be it strikes, spares, 2s or so on. The card we had yesterday had three of each requirement - never counted but about 25 squares. It is on a timer so you usually have to move it to play the game.

The other day I learned a new word and I don't think I mentioned it. (I hope I am not boiling my cabbages twice). Once in a while I feel as if there is something crawling over my skin. Just like a bunch of ants or something. I thought maybe it was psychological because we have ants again at the moment (although I think they are beginning to disappear) and I wondered if this was a "condition" so I Googled, and lo and behold it is called formication after the Latin word formica for ant. It is, apparently related to diabetic nerve pain although not exclusive to diabetics. Pins and needles is also related. I notice, checking for the link, Wiki says "not to be confused with fornication" LOL. I haven't checked, but I wonder why the material they used on kitchen counters, etc. is called formica? No, not my hand!!!

I keep looking up recipes for shrimp in the fond hope that I will find some decent shrimp one of these days. One of the problems of being so far from an ocean.

Indian Shrimp Curry (Jhinga Kari)

Although many traditional Indian dishes are fiery hot by Western standards, they can all be tamed to suit palates accustomed to milder fare. This dish is an example of how the spiciness can be adjusted
to the taste of the cook.

1 lb (450 g) jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbs (15 ml) cider vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
4 Tbs (60 ml) vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs (15 ml) finely chopped ginger
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cups (250 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
Chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish

1. Combine the shrimp, vinegar, and salt in a bowl and marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat until it is very hot. Saute the onion, ginger, and garlic until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, cumin, cayenne, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the shrimp along with the marinade and cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are pink, about 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for until the shrimp are firm, about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.

Servings: 4

Source: World Wide Recipes

Have a great day
 

2 comments:

  1. It was a substitute for 'mica'. Not sure why I even know that. Somehow in my latin classes I never learned the word 'formica'.

    I've been told that the best shrimp for us northerners is frozen. I buy the uncooked shrimps at Costco. No one knows the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do Latin for very long Denise so didn't even know that much.

      You are probably right about the frozen shrimp. I never really thought about it. Will have to try them.

      Delete