Thursday, April 12, 2018

Bowling, Weather, Kitchen Tip, Clean Stove Top,

We bowled a couple of games this afternoon and I had two really good ones, Matt had one really good one. Why oh why can't we do that on the Monday?? We have 4 more Monday's for the league and then May 14 is our banquet and prize giving. I certainly won't get my average back high again now. Pity.

It's been snowing today, not much, but constant. Then freezing rain is forecast for the weekend. I thought it was supposed to be Spring. I can't believe it. The asparagus season is being delayed because of this weather too. Now that is serious!!!!! Everyone is complaining, but there really isn't a damned thing we can do about it.

Saw an excellent suggestion online today, when you are sautéeing or frying something, cover up the other rings on your stove top with foil so they don't get splashed with fat. Not only that, you can use them as a spoon rest if you need one.

I like broccoli salads and thought this one sounded good, anything with bacon after all.

Broccoli Salad with Bacon

Classic broccoli salad, the perfect dish for a potluck, is updated with cauliflower, bacon and a sprinkle of crunchy sunflower seeds in this so-easy recipe that's sure to be a new picnic favorite

½ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs whole-grain mustard
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 small clove garlic, grated
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp ground pepper
4 cups finely chopped broccoli crowns
1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 slices cooked bacon, chopped ( ¼ cup)
3 Tbs sunflower seeds, toasted

1. Whisk mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, garlic, sugar and pepper in a large bowl. Add broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bacon and sunflower seeds. Stir to coat.

2. To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 1 day.

Servings: 5

Author: Carolyn Casner
Source: EatingWell

Have a great day
 

10 comments:

  1. It is pouring rain here but that is better than the snow up north - I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it's not doing much of anything Denise. Looks very dull and could be snow on the way. Actually I would rather have snow, rain is so miserable in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. But you do not have to shovel rain, lol.

      Delete
    3. I don't have to shovel snow either Denise. Or mow the lawn. The advantages of apartment living.

      Delete
  2. It's like a drop cloth for cooking! What a great idea.

    I can't believe how late the snow has been this year. My poor roses are tired of the cold.

    I've had that salad and it's delicious. I'll have to try making it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a drop cloth, good description Liz.

      Not much that isn't tired of it, you are in a somewhat warmer area than I am after all.

      Yes, I need to make it too.

      Delete
  3. I have a similar salad recipe except no bacon. Russell must be one of the few people who hate bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think there are many people who don't like bacon JoJo. I don't think I have ever had a similar salad.

      Delete
  4. I love the alfoil idea. Especially the spoon rest notion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have a spoon rest Pinky, but often need more spots to put spoons when cooking.

      Delete