Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Word Origins, Mandarin, Shopping, Doctor's, Cooold.

Watching a programme about all kinds of antiques (no not the Roadshow) there was a bronze medal from an early Olympic games - in Europe I think - and on the reverse it portrayed naked gymnasts. It was explained, something I didn't know, that in ancient Greece the word gymnasio meant naked athletes and gymnasion was where they did their athletics. I knew they did athletics without clothes but didn't realise this is where we got gymnasium and gymnastics from. γυμναστήριο is the actual Greek word. I don't think women did athletics in those days.

Stuffed myself silly at Mandarin again, I always intend not to eat so much, but everything is so delicious. I always have the hot and sour soup, can't resist it. Had a few pieces of sushi today too. Its OK, but not the same thing as one can get at the coast where fresh fish is available.

We have spent so much on parking lately, the cash box is empty. At least we don't have to pay for the hospital treatments even if we have to pay to use their parking lots. Then we went shopping today and the bill was horrendous. I don't know how two of us can spend/eat so much. Went to the doctor's office before shopping and were in and out quite quickly. Just there for refills. It was murder staggering into the office for the pair of us, the wind was blowing and it felt bitter. Everyone is saying where is spring, but it is still April and I have known bad snow storms in April.

I am very fond of snow peas so when I saw this recipe obviously I saved it. I bought some snow peas today.

Snow Pea Soup

1 Tbs (15 ml) olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 scallions (spring onions), green and white
parts, chopped
1 lb (450 g) snow peas (mange-touts), trimmed
4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped fresh mint, or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried tarragon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Yogurt or sour cream for garnish (optional)
Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)

1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Sauté the onion and scallions until tender, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the snow peas and romaine lettuce and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Add the stock, mint, tarragon, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Process in small batches in an electric food processor or blender until smooth. Strain and serve hot or chilled. Garnish with yogurt or sour cream, and/or chives if desired.

Yield: Serves 4 to 6.

Source: WW Recipes

Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. Frost on everything here this morning. Sunday morning it was snowing when I woke up. I am sure we will get another snowfall before the month is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is howling round this building right now Denise, but although they keep talking about it, no snow so far.

      Delete
    2. Hah. What looked like frost in the dark turns out to be snow. Yuck.

      Delete
    3. We had a few flakes a while back.

      Delete
  2. You spend so much because you guys eat good, as you should.
    Last thing I want to watch is a bunch of naked guys...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a little too good Alex.

      Not these days, but maybe a couple of thousand years ago we wouldn't have thought anything of it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo,

    Sorry to hear it is still very bitter cold up there. I am sweltering here in Florida... a heat wave... upper 80's and humid... but I leave for Chicago in a month or so and it's still chilly there, too.

    Interesting about the Greek word. I knew they performed naked, but I had no idea that was the word.

    Never knew you can make pea soup from snow pea pods...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's colder today than before Michael. The wind is howling and cuts right through you. Ugh. I bet Chicago would be terrible in this weather.

      I was the same about gymnasion.

      No, I didn't know about them in soup either.

      Delete
  4. I love snow peas in stir fries, pasta primavera and with pierogies. So good! Well I'm really glad that the sports participants are properly clothes now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy snow peas any which way too JoJo. Well in those days you wouldn't have thought twice about it.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you're colder than us, but it's bitter here too. I'm so tired of it. I've never been to a hospital where I had to pay for parking if I was the patient, only when I was a visitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think they differentiate between patient and visitor but as I keep telling myself Susan, at least we don't pay for treatment when we get inside the hospital.

      Delete
  6. Today I saw drizzle, downpours, sun, sleet, sun, rain, sun and snow along with the strong winds...gotta love the Niagara Region. If you have to travel a long way to the hospital, you can claim the km’s, parking and food, if the appointment is at dinner time(s) on your taxes. Glad the Mandarin was good and that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get much sun yesterday, but got a selection of precipitations and the strong winds. I didn't know that about claiming on one's taxes. Thanks. Yes, we did enjoy the Mandarin - do you have one in your area?

      Delete
  7. In the ancient Greek Olympics there were only male competitors and they competed naked so I'm guessing the medal was in recognition of that. Women weren't allowed to watch in ancient times and if I remember correctly the penalty was death if a woman was caught trying to watch.

    That soup sounds yummy. It's still too hot here to plant any snow peas but in about a month I'll be putting some in. I'll be keeping the soup recipe for when I have some I can harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew they were only male competitors but didn't know women were not allowed to watch. Makes sense. Death seems a tad extreme though.

      Wish I had snow peas in a garden Helen.

      Delete